Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Golite footwear going minimalist/barefoot?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Golite footwear going minimalist/barefoot? on 06/18/2010 11:16:20 MDT Print View

Apparently Golite for 2011 is jumping head over heels into the 'minimalist' footwear/barefoot running market that's been growing and changing by leaps and miles. I caught these 2 posts sharing more about Golite's approach and design ideas and how what they think they can offer the increasingly over-flooded and gimmick filled minimalist footwear market:

Runblogger: GoLite Footwear to Introduce Minimalist Shoe Line in Fall 2010

Runblogger: GoLite BareTech Shoe Preview: Amp Lite, Tara Lite, and More!

Gimmick? Or is Golite onto something?

Personally, I'm not buying it.

Also, sort of on the same subject, this blogger posted about the affordability and viability of XC Racing flats for the minimalist runner. Sure, running in XC flats is nothing new, running in XC flats on a regular basis and for the person transitioning into flatter footwear on a budget is, cause the $100+ pricetag on Vibram FF is getting ludicrous. BPL's Nick Gatel uses a pair of cross country flats quite a bit for his fast n' ultralight trips from what I understand from past posts.

Here's the post:

Runblogger: Cross Country (XC) Racing Flats as Minimalist Shoes

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Golite footwear going minimalist/barefoot? on 06/18/2010 13:46:55 MDT Print View

We shall see. It does seem to be the newest fad. If the GoLites can come in at under 10 oz each AND last 400-500 miles, they might have something.

Racing flats are cheap, usually available for under $50. But they don't last even 200 miles if you hike on anything other than manicured trails. The MT100s seem to be the exception.

V5F are fairly light, but IMO not suitable for anything than well maintained trails.

I will say that in my experience, Soloman XA Pro 3Ds have held up extremely well, good on all terrain and fit me perfect. Overall, they are the best shoe I own.

I will keep an eye out for the GoLites, and if there are enough positive reviews, will spring for a pair. But I am definitely not going to be an early adapter at MSRP.