Lightweight Dry Sacks: Comparison Testing Results
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
eVent Scrap on 07/18/2006 11:32:02 MDT Print View

As per David Olsen's offer last week I received my scrap/samples of eVent fabric.
Thanks David.

I also have found out that "OR" is introducing a Compression Sack with a material on one end to squeeze the air through it like the eVent bottom on the new "Sea to Summit" Compression Dry Sacks. Look for this OR item at the next Outdoor Retail Show.

Chris Jackson
(chris_jackson) - F
Re: eVent Scrap on 07/18/2006 20:02:50 MDT Print View

Bill, I'd be interested to know the weight of the Event fabric, provided that's OK with David Olsen.

R K
(oiboyroi)

Locale: South West US
Re: eVent Scrap on 07/18/2006 20:36:07 MDT Print View

A British company called Outdoor Designs makes a dry sack like the one Bill describes above.

Here's a review.

Roy

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

eVent Scrap/Bags on 07/18/2006 22:34:48 MDT Print View

Chris, I will check with David or he may respond here with the answer to your question.

Roy, This type of bag may be the Rage for new items this year. EVent may be the winner for this application.

On a side note I see on
Ron Bells web site that he is listing several Hammocks made out of "Epic". I listed this by mistake as eVent. I then then suggested Ron might make a line of Dry Bags/Compression Bags that use an "eVent" should have said Epic bottom. Maybe Epic would work? He also lists a Cuben Tarp.

Edited by bfornshell on 07/19/2006 00:05:32 MDT.

Jason Smith
(JasonS) - MLife

Locale: Northeast
Ron's Hammocks on 07/18/2006 23:21:03 MDT Print View

Correct me if I am wrong. I think Ron's hammocks are epic

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

eVent Scrap/Bags on 07/18/2006 23:57:04 MDT Print View

Jason, You are correct. I guess I had the other "E" word on my brain.

I did a little editing of the other post.

Edited by bfornshell on 07/19/2006 00:03:37 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
MEC Sacks on 08/02/2009 00:45:55 MDT Print View

I want to let BPL'ers know about the dry sacks from Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC.ca). I think these are new. MEC is sort of the Canadian equivilent of REI.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701623&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442628934

I have the 7L size which I easily fits my Ultra 20 quilt and then at night I fill it with stuff for use as a pillow. This dry sack weighs 41g (1.4 oz) after I trimmed the pocket off the bottom. These dry sacks have a velco pocket that sorta hangs off the bottom that allows you to stuff the stuff sack into. The pocket adds about 10g (0.3 oz).

Without the pocket, these sacks are just as light as the lightest sack in this comparison test although I guess mine is a bit smaller than the sizes used in the test.

The cool thing about these dry sacks is the price. Mine was just $8 Cdn which is about $7 in USA funds. They are available in 5 sizes which go up to 28L for $15.

I filled mine up with water and held it for a while and no water was leaking out the seams. The roll top isn't as ridgid as some drysacks, so you want at least two rolls in...probably 3....to get a good seal. I'm not sure how the roll top would fair in BPLs test, but the body of the sack seems to be watertight. For my uses (keeping my down bag dry inside my pack) this sack is definitely waterproof enough.

Hopefully this doesn't sound like an ad. Previously I was using the 10L SealLine storm sack (the same one used in this test) which worked well but it was a lot heavier (40g vs. 77g) and I didn't really need 10L. Now my dry sack is half the weight....plus the color matches my Ultra 20.

MEC also makes similar dry sacks in larger sizes that are intended for use as a pack liner. These are $11 - $18.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699989&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442625580

Edited by dandydan on 08/02/2009 00:51:47 MDT.