Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
stress fracture! dkafjlkadflksdjflkjsd
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Demchak
(mikey) - F

Locale: new england
stress fracture! dkafjlkadflksdjflkjsd on 06/15/2010 21:55:16 MDT Print View

Wow I'm a bit bummed right now. Just got back from the doctors the other day, turns out I have a stress fracture on my 3rd metatarsal on my left foot. I've been training kind of hard for my upcoming thru-hike of the Colorado trail. and i guess i trained a little to hard...Looks like it's not going to happen this year...I'm hoping that i can instead kayak the Maine Island trail, and give it a good 4 weeks of rest, i might still have a chance to hike the JMT. Anyone ever have a stress fracture on their metatarsal? I know healing is an individual thing, But I'd love to hear some real world feedback as to how long I can expect to be hiking again.
Thanks,
mike!

And my best wishes to John Alderman... wish I could do it with you my friend.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"stress fracture! dkafjlkadflksdjflkjsd" on 06/15/2010 22:13:38 MDT Print View

Michael,

Dude, sorry to hear your setback this season, injuries suck. Hopefully the kayaking option will work out and be a rewarding and joyful alternative to the CT. No advice on the metatarsals, however I can relate to your pain, I injured my IT band after 9 months of consistent training for an ultramarathon 2 weeks before race day and had to take 6 months of rest and near complete cutback in running. I almost lost my mind in that time! I've since been easing back into training for an ultra slated for October with a wiser head on my shoulders.

Dont Wantto
(longhiker) - F
that s0cks on 06/15/2010 22:14:38 MDT Print View

that's really unfortunate.. i can imagine the anticipation and the let down from this. i'm sure you'll find other trails to hike closer to home this year and maybe have more interesting relaxing trips.

what were you doing to train? do you know how you broke whatever it is that you broke?

i live here in the north east as well and am just getting into training for the colorado hike as well. i am working machines for my quads and hamstrings apart from swimming and biking at the gym..

Edited by longhiker on 06/15/2010 22:15:20 MDT.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: that s0cks on 06/15/2010 22:37:53 MDT Print View

+1 You may want to look into some low impact training programs that will keep you in shape while you recover and perhaps it is something you want to continue with to discourage future training related injuries.

I wish you a quick recovery!

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"stress fracture! dkafjlkadflksdjflkjsd" on 06/15/2010 22:55:34 MDT Print View

Best wishes for a speedy recovery dude!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"stress fracture! dkafjlkadflksdjflkjsd" on 06/16/2010 06:20:25 MDT Print View

@ Michael,

Did running in your Five Fingers have anything to do with your metatarsal injury? I noticed your Gear swap post where you're selling your VFF KSO treks.

Michael Demchak
(mikey) - F

Thanks guys on 06/16/2010 08:19:38 MDT Print View

Ahh thanks for the warm wishes guys, I think it's just me getting old...(I'm turning 25 in a few weeks)

Longhiker, It was very much a surprise to me. I was wearing a pair of VFF which don't give as much protection as traditional shoes. Part of it was probably a little over-training/bad training. and some of it might have been because of my messed up late spring, I had some back to back problems, starting with a slight twist of the ankle with a rock climbing fall. then a little Lyme disease fun, throw in some 50 hour work weeks which resulted in a kind of awkward training schedule of infrequent high intensity things.I didn't hit the gym at all, just mainly a lot of running. (mainly trails) also a lot of cycling (saved a ton of gas money :D) I did get just a few backpacking trips in, and both times i carried the other peoples packs and gave them mine.

Eugene, I don't know if the VFF alone where to blame. the pain first happened after about mile 5 in a backpacking trip where i did admittedly carried to much beer and booze (for the sake of training and all.) BUT I've been running barefoot or with my original (no EVA) KSO for about 8 months pretty religiously and for the past year and half on and off. so i thought my feet were indestructible. I guess what probably did more damage was the fact when i first noticed the pain, i ignored it and didn't/couldn't bail on the trip and finished the other rockkky 20 miles. and thanks for your story and in a way, misery really does like company.

A part of me does believe in the law of averages. When something bad like this happens something good down the road has to come to even it all out.

mike!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: "stress fracture! dkafjlkadflksdjflkjsd" on 06/16/2010 18:17:06 MDT Print View

"I injured my IT band after 9 months of consistent training for an ultramarathon"

Eugene,

A word of advice from an IT band veteran: Stretch that IT band religiously. If it becomes chronic, you're in for a world of hurt. It's real hard to shake from then on. 2 orthopedic docs and a physical therapist have told me that a foam roll is the best way to go about it. FWIW

Tom

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"stress fracture! dkafjlkadflksdjflkjsd" on 06/16/2010 20:57:07 MDT Print View

Thanks Tom, I'll definitely continue to heed your sage advice, you echo much of what I've been told from my primary care physician, self-therapy articles and other runners. I've been using the foam roller extensively over the last few months after each run and exercise, if it was possible to track my distance on the roller I think I've rolled quite a few miles! :) As of recent I've had no real issue with my IT band on my daily runs, occasionally I'll experience slight tightness but no resulting pain, I'm continuing to strength train, stretch and run as my body feels comfortable doing right now. I'm not asking as much from it as I was last year. To prevent injury relapse I've been focusing on running quality vs. quantity, which was the case in the end of 2009, quantity was an addictive aspect of running that resulted in injury.

@ Michael,

In some sick way misery does enjoy company, you're definitely right, which is why I feel for you, succumbing to injury just stinks. You and I are a year apart and I don't see another year as a setback, rather one more year to wise up, set a goal, build a plan and with some acquired experience work towards that end. You'll likely be in far better condition to attempt the CT or the JMT fully healed than trying to rush healing a metatarsal injury. 4 weeks may be the time off your feet in the immediate future but that's not counting the slight degradation to other areas of your body that will need to be brought back up to speed. Just be willing to accept a potentially longer healing process and don't put any specific timeline on things, your body will tell when it's ready to get back at it if you're listening.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: "stress fracture! dkafjlkadflksdjflkjsd" on 06/16/2010 21:08:51 MDT Print View

"To prevent injury relapse I've been focusing on running quality vs. quantity, which was the case in the end of 2009, quantity was an addictive aspect of running that resulted in injury."

Sounds to me like you're on a wise path, Eugene. The quantity can come later, and gradually. Quantity can definitely be addictive, and has led to many an injury. The sheer joy of running high volume and the endorphin effect make it hard to stop-until it's too late....Pretty heady stuff, isn't it? Here's hoping you stay injury free for a good long time.

Tom

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
stepped on a nail while running on 06/17/2010 07:32:29 MDT Print View

I've never had one, but i stepped on a nail HEAD not point, while running a few days ago. It punctured then tore a 1inch long gash. Pretty deep. Im hoping with antibiotics, lots of vitamins and veggies, i will be ready for the hike in about 30 days.

Edited by isaac.mouser on 06/17/2010 07:46:57 MDT.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"stress fracture! dkafjlkadflksdjflkjsd" on 06/17/2010 07:40:44 MDT Print View

Ouch! That's quite a gash you have there Isaac. Were you running barefoot?

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
swimming pool on 06/17/2010 07:47:35 MDT Print View

i was on a swimming pool deck, the nail had worked its way out over time. I was running, getting ready to dive.

Edited by isaac.mouser on 06/17/2010 07:48:05 MDT.

Michael Demchak
(mikey) - F

ouuch! on 06/17/2010 09:48:02 MDT Print View

oof Ike! well it sounds like you just got the trump card on me. Heal up man! the plus side of antibiotics, (though no scientific backing here) you don't have to filter your water anymore.

Eugene, wow I like that quality over quantity. I think that extra year does make you quite a bit wiser. and good to hear your on the road to recovery.

mike!

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
Mike on 06/17/2010 09:55:15 MDT Print View

Best of luck as well, the downside of antibiotics is they keep you running to the bathroom