Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 Part 1
Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 Part 1 on 06/15/2010 13:16:32 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 Part 1

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 Part 1 on 06/15/2010 13:53:43 MDT Print View

BPL gold. I look forward to parts 2 and 3!

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 Part 1 on 06/15/2010 14:16:55 MDT Print View

The seam question has been on my mind for years. When wearing a jacket in calm conditions, there may be little noticeable difference in warmth between a highly quilted sewn through jacket and a fully baffled one. But add some wind and the difference, to me, seems dramatic. This is and issue that Richard Nisley's testing can't address (maybe if he added a fan to his testing???). Of course, as mentioned, you can always add a wind shirt, but then you should add the weight difference of carrying a wind short into the equation when evaluating different jacket construction for weight to warmth ratios IMHO.

Bring on parts 2 and 3!!

Rio Rat
(Rio) - F
"Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 Part 1" on 06/16/2010 02:54:01 MDT Print View

Good report.
Looking forward to next parts.

Lucas Boyer
(jhawkwx) - MLife

Locale: 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W
Thanks Will on 06/16/2010 08:24:25 MDT Print View

As always, a thorough evaluation of data is a welcome read. I would say that the survey of prospective buyers would change dramatically if we found some backpackers on a windswept, alpine peak. I think preferences toward a down heavy, feature light jacket/anorak would occur. It's hard to spend $150+ on a jacket that you won't wear to town, dinner, etc. However, when faced w/ purely utilitarian function, the bare bones down anorak sounds like the ticket. Clever marketing ploys have turned consumers into feature shoppers. Essential function has been pushed aside for bells and whistles, literally.

Henry Blake
(Dragon) - F

Locale: Minnesota
Dissecting the Issues on 06/16/2010 17:01:29 MDT Print View

A great start toward helping us to better understand the issues involved in making our choices on a complex topic. Thanks!

The only thing still on my mind is, which companies make XXL sizes. For some of us, that alone determines our far fewer choices.

Edited by Dragon on 06/16/2010 17:03:13 MDT.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Dissecting the Issues on 06/16/2010 17:26:55 MDT Print View

" which companies make XXL sizes"

I would add, which companies make legitimate XXL sizes. MontBell annoyed me when they redesigned their UL inner jacket. What used to be a large was now called and XL, and the previous XL became an XXL, etc...I'm absolutely certain this was done to keep the weight the same as the old jacket while adding a zipper and pockets.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
UL Three-Season Down Jackets- on 06/17/2010 07:46:43 MDT Print View

Lynn, Patagonia makes a XL Nano Puff. I have used it this past year and am very happy with it--It gets so warm I have to take it off from time to time..I know you asked about XXL but my XL fits me perfect and I am 6'3 and 230 lbs. Open-side Flanker

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: UL Three-Season Down Jackets- on 06/17/2010 14:43:32 MDT Print View

I'm not in the XXL category, but was merely pointing out that not all XXLs are the same! Hopefully this will be covered in the two upcoming articles...

Mike Klein
(38562) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
XXL option on 06/19/2010 23:48:59 MDT Print View

Being a XXL+ size, 6'5", 275 lbs, I researched a fair amount for my purchase. The Eddie Bauer First Ascent XXL down zip sweater is full sized. In XXL it likely just exceeds the 14 oz guideline but was the lightest full feature gear.