Forum Index » Gear Lists » Newbie Gear List

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.
Newbie Gear List on 06/14/2010 06:06:46 MDT Print View

This is my general 3-Season gear list. I used to carry 40-45lbs. I have been cutting down over the last year and still cutting. I know this isn’t True Ultralight but I do enjoy some luxuries such as the Thermarest Chair. (I have a tricky back and love back support when I sit) There are some other misc items such as a book, keys, wallet, Ipod, and such. The tent is needed when I pack with my wife.

Done my best so far. Waiting to get some more money before I upgrade again. Usually wait a season to upgrade. But suggestions are cool. Thanks. Have fun picking apart.

Gear List --(10.10 lbs)
Pack-- Golite Pinnacle Medium --24oz
Sleeping Bag--Lafuma X600 -- 20oz
Prolite 3 Thermarest-- 16oz
Jetboil PCS-- 15oz
Katadyn Water Filter-- 11oz
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2--2lbs 10 oz
Rain Cover-- 1.4oz
Med Kit-- 9oz
Removable Pack Pockets--- 5oz
Hygiene Kit-- 5oz (Toothpaste/Brush/Wet Wipes/Sportslick)
Repair Kit --4 oz
Thermarest Trekker chair-- 10oz
Titanium Cup-- 5oz

Misc- (1.2lbs)
50 ft rope--1.2oz
Headlamp and MightyLite Mini (W/batteries) --5oz
Leatherman –5oz
Fuel Canister—4oz
Bug Net--<1oz
Carabiners—2oz

Rain Jacket Marmot Precip –12oz
Montbell Inner Down Parka—8oz
BPL Beartooth Hoddie--.8oz
Random Clothes depending on 3 Season-- NOT Heavy

Water—Usually 2 liters (4.4lbs)

Food—I don’t really know; depends on weather and duration.

Thanks Again

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Newbie Gear List on 06/14/2010 07:41:32 MDT Print View

Here are some inexpensive suggestions to lighten up:

1. Replace the Jetboil with a alcohol stove(MYOG) and Anti Gravity Gear Pot (~$10)
2. Replace the water filter with Aquamira Drops (~$10)
3. Cut down on the heavy med kit (you should be able to get it in the 1-3oz range and still have enough) and the repair kit.
4. Cut down on the hygiene kit (repackage?)
5. I know you said you wanted to take it, but I would drop the chair. I hate sitting without a backrest too, but I don’t spend much time around camp, and usually eat standing up.
6. Either drop the cup, or use it as you cookpot
7. Drop the MightyLite Mini
8. Replace the Leatherman with a 0.6oz Gerber Mini LST (~$15)
9. Replace the Precip with a ~5oz Dri Ducks Jacket (~$15)

Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Locale: Southern California
what region? on 06/14/2010 08:23:31 MDT Print View

Hi, Mark,

What region do you hike in? For summer, at least, think about replacing the tent with a tarp. An oware 5x8 silnylon tarp is 6.5 oz, which is a saving of over 2 lb.

Replace thermarest with a $16, 4-oz torso pad, http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_torso.html?id=gKfRE7s6:75.83.69.196 , saving 12 oz.

Replace the water filter with ClO2 tablets, saving 11 oz. Replace toothpaste with baking soda.

That's almost four pounds of weight saved, and all of this is relatively inexpensive stuff.

-Ben

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

North East Area on 06/14/2010 09:06:55 MDT Print View

I pack in the NE. Tarp will take me another year or 2. City boy and like the protection. I know the mm of nylon will stop a bear or such, but can't see it; it ain't there. Stupid philosophy but works for me.

The filter has been considered to drop. Next trip out, I am bringing it with the Tablets to try them out. If it's good, then bye bye filter.

For me, it's not a goal to get as light as possible. It's lighten the load and enjoy. I know that comment is going to twist some people but I just looking to cut another pound or so. Much better than 55lb first overnight trip. HOLYSH@T that was heavy. I had to pack a lot for my wife. Very petite woman.

Thanks for the info. Please keep it coming.

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Cut Weight with DriDucks on 06/14/2010 09:11:03 MDT Print View

Just saw that someone suggested I get a DriDucks Laminate Jacket for the rain. 5oz and $15??!! How are they? Is there a specific model or something?

Thanks

Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Locale: Southern California
Re: North East Area on 06/14/2010 09:25:12 MDT Print View

"I pack in the NE. Tarp will take me another year or 2. City boy and like the protection. I know the mm of nylon will stop a bear or such, but can't see it; it ain't there. Stupid philosophy but works for me."
It's a trade-off. I hike in California, mostly in the summer, so the tarp is basically insurance, and I don't even expect to need it. Pros and cons of switching from a tent to a tarp, as I see them:

pro:
- much less weight and space
con:
- no bug protection
- can be time-consuming to set up and take down
- can be difficult to set up if you don't have convenient trees and don't hike with trekking poles
- not a comfortable way to wait out a long, strong storm

"For me, it's not a goal to get as light as possible. It's lighten the load and enjoy. I know that comment is going to twist some people but I just looking to cut another pound or so."
Hey, it's just a hiking style, not a religion :-) But if I had to carry 55 lb instead of 23 lb, I would have a lot less fun. I wouldn't be able to hike as far, and I'd feel like hell going up hills.

-Ben

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Hiking Style on 06/14/2010 09:34:36 MDT Print View

The "Hiking style" is the best way to describe it. You're 100% right about the lighter the load the more enjoyable it is. And hills are not too bad anymore. Still sucks but not as much.

Thanks