Collapsible 20-25l daypack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
REI Zip Travel on 09/01/2010 07:04:38 MDT Print View

This has not seen the sequential upgrades that the REI Flash has been through, but it is still awesome. 2 bottle pockets, floating lid with pocket, 1200 cuin, $30.

http://www.rei.com/product/754685

Fits much better than the LLBean variety.

REI Zip Travel

Edited by joegeib on 09/01/2010 07:08:16 MDT.

Brian Cripe
(brian.cripe) - F

Locale: Midwest
REI Flash 18 on 09/01/2010 07:48:22 MDT Print View

I know you said you weren't crazy about the pull opening of the Flash 18, but it does seal up pretty darn well (I've been rained on with it, and my pack contents have stayed dry). With mine, I cut off the extraneous bits and added shock cord to the outside so that I can compress the bag on my back/store items on the outside, and my bag is at 235g/8.3oz. You could shave the weight a bit lower also if you took out the hydration pouch. I do like the option of a hydration bladder for summit pushes.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
North Face Flyweights on 09/01/2010 13:46:47 MDT Print View

Looks like a great pack for short trips generally.

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
ChicoBag RePETe 20 on 09/01/2010 18:18:05 MDT Print View

I got one of these for the wife, but I end up stealing it from her often :) It's a well designed, simple bag, very light, strong, compressible, that functions well.

Chico Bag RePETe Daypack 20

Ben P
(benp1) - F

Locale: London
Golite Ion on 09/02/2010 05:08:39 MDT Print View

Lighter than all of these packs and very comfy

It doesn't have a proper way of compressing but that's nothing a rubber band can't fix! As there's no padding in the sack etc it packs up great, though the shoulder straps have minimalist padding to help with comfort.

EDIT - Whoops! Didn't see you'd already looked at it. Its available here in the UK, check out backpackinglight.co.uk

Edited by benp1 on 09/02/2010 05:09:37 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Collapsible 20-25l daypack on 09/02/2010 08:51:25 MDT Print View

What about the Nemo Equipment Ditto:

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2010-dittobackpack

May be a bit small, but under 7oz

Aaron Reichow
(areichow)

Locale: Northern Minnesota
GoLite Peak on 09/02/2010 21:25:15 MDT Print View

I've been doing this with my GoLite Peak. It's heavier than most of the packs here, but for your uses that isn't such a big deal. I leave out some bits- the foam pad in the back and hipbelt padding/pockets, which are worthless for weight transfer- and pack the bag into the zippered pocket. Roll it up and put a rubberband or some cord around it and it's a small loaf of bread, maybe 20 oz. Bigger than what you're looking for, but the compression system is pretty nice, made of Dyneema, somewhat ventilated, and comfy for folks with longer torsos.

I've considered the Mountain Hardwear Scrambler and Montbell Versalite, but never seen them in person. Look like OK options, though.

Edited by areichow on 09/02/2010 21:32:55 MDT.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Collapsible 20-25l daypack on 09/02/2010 21:54:31 MDT Print View

FYI the new version of the Mountain Hardwear Scrambler can be lightened a bit. My 2009 was 18.7oz but that was with a corrugated plastic frame sheet and foam sheet. Taking out only the plastic sheet the pack is only 15.2 oz. I also cut a slit in the fabric between the inside of the pack and the foam sheet. Now I have a place for my 100 oz platypus.