Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Ti-tri / Caldera Cone: ideas for packing, storing, & protecting

Display Avatars Sort By:
. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Ti-tri / Caldera Cone: ideas for packing, storing, & protecting on 06/11/2010 20:40:09 MDT Print View

I have been scratching my head over this for some time now and remain unsatisfied with my current solutions. Has anyone come up with a lighter solution to storing your Ti-tri or Caldera Cones that protects them well, packs easily, and doesn't take up excessive space (and hopefully is multi-use or light enough that it's not necessary)?

(Obviously this pertains to the regular size models and not the shortened ones that fit inside their own pots at a said sacrifice of some efficiency)

Some ideas thus far are:

- lightweight water bottles cut as sleeves or "pigs" (similar to stock solution but lighter weight and less protections)

- wrap around fishing pole handle

- 1.5 oz/sq. yd. Cuben stuff sack

- 2.5" bamboo section (interesting but heavy)

- two identical pots capped on end for hiking in pairs with bungee cord or stuff sack holding them together

- pot cozy + pot on end capped as above

- lightweight plastic "cutting board" sheet wrapped around with a rubber band

- tall light-weight wide-mouthed water bottle (anyone know of any?)

- put it inside a fosters can sans the lid (use the fosters can as a mug?)

- wrap it in the optional ti floor, cap the ends with round foam inserts and hope for the best (my favorite idea thus far, but haven't tried it yet) + optional .6 oz. Cuben stuff sack for wood burning mode to keep pack clean

*bonus props for pictures!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Ti-tri / Caldera Cone: ideas for packing, storing, & protecting on 06/11/2010 21:07:59 MDT Print View

I'm still experimenting with mine. No full solutions.

I had purchased a 32-ounce plastic bottle of molasses and transferred the stuff to another container. I cut off the top of the bottle, and that left me with a single deep plastic mug of sorts. It is smaller in diameter than the standard caddy, so it is more compact, but there isn't much weight savings.

--B.G.--

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Ti-tri/ Caldera Cone Ideas for storing and packing on 06/11/2010 21:17:25 MDT Print View

P1010236
550 Caldera Cone--My container comes in at 1.5oz vs. the original 3oz.. Smart water bottle
P1010242

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Ti-tri / Caldera Cone: ideas for packing, storing, & protecting on 06/11/2010 22:28:51 MDT Print View

From an old thread:

Packing explained

Packing shown

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Re: Ti-tri / Caldera Cone: ideas for packing, storing, & protecting on 06/12/2010 09:54:50 MDT Print View

Doug - I like your setup - much like the original CC setup (cone in your mug/pot w/ plastic SOLO cup inverted).

Can you tell me about your Ti cup/glass? Weight, cost?

Looks good.

Todd

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Ti-tri / Caldera Cone: ideas for packing, storing, & protecting on 06/12/2010 11:05:12 MDT Print View

It's a Snow Peak TW-129. Weighs 1.5 oz, 5.3ml capacity. Around $25.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Ti-Tri/CC: ideas for packing... on 06/12/2010 11:56:17 MDT Print View

I sent Aaron a PM suggesting he could:

a) wrap it around his lower leg, secure with rubber band(s) and use as a shin guard.

b) punch two small holes in the upper corners, attach a lanyard and hang around neck providing a protective chest plate.

c) punch two small holes mid point along the side edges, attach a lanyard to run under chin and wear as a visor.

All worthy of consideration and allows user to list items weight as worn instead of packed on trip gear list.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ti-tri / Caldera Cone: ideas for packing, storing, & protecting on 06/12/2010 13:54:18 MDT Print View

"It's a Snow Peak TW-129. Weighs 1.5 oz, 5.3ml capacity. Around $25."

Douglas, I believe you meant 5.3 fluid ounces, not milliliters.

Geez, 5.3 ml would be only a thimble full.

--B.G.--

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ti-tri / Caldera Cone: ideas for packing, storing, & protecting on 06/12/2010 14:56:44 MDT Print View

"Douglas, I believe you meant 5.3 fluid ounces, not milliliters."

I don't drink much?

Of course, you're right! 5.3 floz. Oops! ;-)

Hugh Teegan
(hteegan) - MLife
Re: Ti-tri / Caldera Cone: ideas for packing, storing, & protecting on 06/19/2010 17:15:53 MDT Print View

Not sure if it would work for the ti-tri, but for the regular Caldera Cone I use an empty Wet Ones dispenser (the size that fits in a car cup holder). Cone goes in first, then the fuel bottle and lighter in the middle and cap it off with the 12-10 stove. It weighs 1.2 ounces - couldn't get rid of the scent from lighter store brand dispensers. I think I got this tip here but can't find it now.

Edited by hteegan on 06/19/2010 17:16:35 MDT.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Re: Ti-tri / Caldera Cone: ideas for packing, storing, & protecting on 06/21/2010 12:32:45 MDT Print View

This one is reasonably elegant @ 1 oz. exactly: (It saves almost 2 oz. for my 2l Titan Ti-tri packed)

tennis ti-tri

For use with the alcohol burner, you replace the tennis lid with the stove (inverted) and it sits rather snugly, although a strap would be in order to keep it together well. I also have a racquetball container that may work even better, although it is a bit more snug, so it wouldn't fit the alcohol burner.

(edit: The racquetball container is PET #1 plastic and comes in at 2.6 oz. w/ lid, which is too heavy in my book; the Penn tennis ball container is actually #7 plastic, which can be questionable for potability, rather than PP for the Trail Designs container.)

Edited by biointegra on 06/23/2010 13:54:49 MDT.