Trail Food: Drying and Cooking Food for Backpacking and Paddling
Display Avatars Sort By:
Josh Greninger
(thinkpol) - F
Trail Food: Drying and Cooking Food for Backpacking and Paddling on 06/11/2010 10:01:50 MDT Print View

Thoughts on this book?
I'm looking to start dehydrating recipes and vacuum sealing them. Would this be a good book for a beginner?

Thanks!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Look at this one on 06/11/2010 12:39:22 MDT Print View

The Complete Trail Food Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Campers, Canoeists and Backpackers is a title to check out as well. It came out this year. I picked it up recently (fair warning it has a different cover than Amazon shows!). They also authored a book just on dehydrating before.

Personally....if you want to learn all about dehydrating get a book on dehydrating - it will help more with times/heat settings and storage issues.

You don't need a book of recipes to make and dry - you can dry most anything. But if you want to use dried ingredients and make recipes, then yes, start looking at books.

Edited by sarbar on 06/11/2010 12:40:08 MDT.

Dug Shelby
(Pittsburgh) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Have the book you are asking about... on 06/30/2010 02:55:19 MDT Print View

Was actually reading through it today. It has good info, and it's not thick or hefty at all. You can pick one up on Amazon for next to nothing, and for next to nothing, it''s well worth it.

Definitely one of the 3 books I'd have on my shelf on the subject.

Anthony Alpert
(goby99) - F

Locale: Trinity Alps
Re: Trail Food: Drying and Cooking Food for Backpacking and Paddling on 07/03/2010 11:24:28 MDT Print View

I love Lipsmackin' Backpackin' Vegetarian meals. Here's the link to their first book that includes meat meals:

http://www.amazon.com/Lipsmackin-Backpackin-Lightweight-Trail-tested-Backcountry/dp/1560448814/ref=pd_cp_b_0

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Lipsmackin' on 07/18/2010 04:42:48 MDT Print View

The Lipsmackin' series is really great. I love the Vegetarian book as well as the original.