Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
July 1982 Issue of Backpacker Magazine - Superlight Revolution
Display Avatars Sort By:
Barry Cuthbert
(nzbazza) - MLife

Locale: New Zealand
Does anyone have the Backpacker July 1982 Superlight Revolution article? on 02/19/2013 16:07:14 MST Print View

I just tried to download the backpacker article from Mediafire, but the article has gone. Google Books has a large number of Backpacker issues but not the July 82 edition.

Could someone please email me a copy of the article.

Bradley Thomas
(bthomas) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Mediafire down? on 02/22/2013 02:54:48 MST Print View

Or share a working link to download?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Does anyone have the Backpacker July 1982 Superlight Revolution article? on 02/22/2013 12:38:43 MST Print View

I believe that is copyrighted material.

--B.G.--

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Does anyone have the Backpacker July 1982 Superlight Revolution article? on 02/22/2013 13:11:28 MST Print View

Not sure how far back their stock goes or if they reprint but here's the info from backpacker.com

"If you know the exact month and year of the issue you want, call our customer service department at (800) 666-3434 to order it. Back issues cost $7.00 each."

Bradley Thomas
(bthomas) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Back issues on 03/04/2013 14:56:11 MST Print View

Apparently Backpacker's available issue for back order only goes back to 2009. Image to try contacting google next.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Does anyone have the Backpacker July 1982 Superlight Revolution article? on 06/18/2013 06:47:00 MDT Print View

I have it as a PDF PM if you want a copy.

Edit: include your e mail address.

Edited by kthompson on 06/18/2013 20:10:03 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: July 1982 Issue of Backpacker Magazine - Superlight Revolution on 06/18/2013 21:23:12 MDT Print View

Sam, Thanks for posting this!

JJ Willcoxon
(H2Oboy) - M

Locale: Midwest
What a blast from the past on 06/19/2013 13:53:16 MDT Print View

Special thanks to Ken Thompson for the assist on the *.pdf. It was nifty to return to the past, if only for a brief read. Where do the years go?

kevin campbell
(rockymtbiker) - F

Locale: Michigan
f on 06/21/2013 10:16:51 MDT Print View

I had a friend from highschool go into this industry in the early 80s. I saw him in about 88 or so, and he was all jacked up about this movement of light weight packing. Funny to think about it now...

Barry Cuthbert
(nzbazza) - MLife

The more things change, the more they stay the same on 06/21/2013 16:51:34 MDT Print View

Thanks Ken for forwarding on the article, it was a very interesting read.

What particularly struck me was that 30 years ago the gear solutions for going lighter are pretty much the same as we have now, and the only real advances made in the 30 years since has been the selection of materials available now is greater.

The superlight challenge gearlist in the article stands up well compared to my own UL gearlist for 3 season tramping and is lighter, my only justification is I don't tramp in the Sierra's ;-). If we compared the same gearlist to that shown in pt.3 of Will's recent articles on Mountain-Superlight, the only real difference is in the choice of materials used, i.e. Cuben wasn't around 30 years ago.

Another thing to strike me was (and it should of been obvious) is that (some) people have been trying to reduce packweight long before Ray Jardine made the ultralight concept popular.

Ultimately the take-away lesson for me is that gear doesn't matter so much, it's the skills, techniques and altitudes that allow you to be ultralight, and those have never changed, and are as old and important as the hills are.

Barry Cuthbert
(nzbazza) - MLife

Re: The more things change, the more they stay the same on 06/21/2013 16:54:18 MDT Print View

Article available here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3QSQU2xVN0XekpkZEZVTTBSRjQ/edit?usp=sharing

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: '82 Backpacker on 06/21/2013 21:33:39 MDT Print View

Don't forget to log in or it will look blank. Thanks Barry.