Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Bonding/gluing silnylon--what actually works?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Bonding/gluing silnylon--what actually works? on 06/08/2010 05:21:37 MDT Print View

So, what glue actually works on silnylon?

I tried gluing a piece of velcro to silnylon with GE Silicone II sealant, and it just peeled right off the silnylon.

Is the "GE Silicone Glue" a different product altogether?

Zachary Zrull
(zackcentury) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
searching for the right product, too on 06/10/2010 23:05:11 MDT Print View

Hi, I'm actually searching for the right adhesive for silnylon as well. So, my suggestions are not from experience, just some online searching. It might be worth it to wipe the silnylon clean and try that same sealant again. Here are some that I would like to try:

Elastosil N199, they make lots of silicone products http://www.wacker.com/cms/en/products-markets/products/product.jsp?product=9142

Liquid Nails 207, possibly more available than Elastosil http://www.liquidnails.com/products/product.jsp?productId=74

Dow 3631, which seems to be designed for fabrics, http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/default.aspx?R=950EN

thanks to anyone who has any info on this topic!

Edited by zackcentury on 06/10/2010 23:07:06 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: searching for the right product, too on 06/11/2010 05:33:44 MDT Print View

Try N10 from Wacker as well.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Bonding/gluing silnylon--what actually works? on 06/11/2010 06:22:57 MDT Print View

Sealant is not an adhesive. Try a silicone adhesive sealant. In with the caulks. GE Silicone Glue is the right track to follow. Take a look at the material section again in the article. Wording in the first paragraph or two is misleading where he says GE Silicone ll http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog-laminating-silicone-impregnated-fabrics.html

GE Silicone II glue/sealant. I’m sure there are generic versions of this product, but I have not tried them. VERY IMPORTANT – test the glue with fabric scraps first or buy a fresh tube for every project. I don’t know why, but old product sometimes does not cure in this application.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Bonding/gluing silnylon--what actually works? on 06/11/2010 08:25:16 MDT Print View

This is the "he" mentionined in Ken's reply concurring
that the wording could be confusing. However, as can he seen here, the manufacturer's name for the product is GE Silicone Sealant II. I dithered over the wording because they do also sell silicone caulk and also tub & shower sealant products ... the chances for confusion are inherent.

Regarding the OP's question ... silicone based glues are the only thing I know of that adheres well to silicone impregnated fabrics. However, they are so-so about adhesion to other materials.

But one could sew velcro to a slightly larger scrap of silnylon and glue the scrap in place.

Edited by jcolten on 06/11/2010 08:32:01 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Bonding/gluing silnylon--what actually works? on 06/11/2010 11:48:13 MDT Print View

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking of rigging up a bug net under a tarp, and I don't want to start putting holes in the canopy--hence the search for a silnylon glue.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Bonding/gluing silnylon--what actually works? on 06/11/2010 13:24:33 MDT Print View

Thanks Jim for the clarification!

rick mccoll
(rgmccoll) - F

Locale: East Tennessee
Re: Re: Re: Bonding/gluing silnylon--what actually works? on 04/10/2011 18:45:06 MDT Print View

Travis, did you ever find something satisfactory?

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Wacker N10 on 04/10/2011 20:55:29 MDT Print View

Well I checked out a tube of Wacker N10 at this website:

N10

Looks like a little over $300 a tube. Several questions come to mind.

(1) Is that a good price?

(2) Do you think I could get a discount if I bought a case?

(3) What is the scale of the photo? Will the tube fit into my pickup?

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
OOPs-Currency Confusion on 04/10/2011 21:01:20 MDT Print View

I assumed this price was in dollars but looks like I'm wrong.

Zachary Zrull
(zackcentury) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
Wacker on 04/10/2011 21:04:52 MDT Print View

Daryl,

Wacker is a German company, that shop you linked is in Estonia, and you're in the northwest. Neither should you have to pay that much, or ship it that far!

Try to contact Wacker's North American HQ, which happens to be right around the corner from me:
3301 Sutton Road
Adrian, MI 49221-9335
(517) 264-8500
wacker.com‎

I'm sure they can tell you who distributes or uses their products, and if you're lucky, they might even get you a sample.

Benjamin Moryson
(hrXXL) - MLife

Locale: Germany
Elastosil on 04/11/2011 00:31:37 MDT Print View

You can also use Elastosil E43 or E199 to glue your silnylon

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Update Elastosil on 10/06/2011 15:25:38 MDT Print View

So I stumbled upon one of my old threads today and decided to follow up. I contacted Wacker and they replied within an hour. Their recommendation for gluing silnylon was Elastosil E 952, which is the U.S. version of Elastosil E 43.

I asked them about purchasing this in small quantities and they said their policy was to sell only to companies and not individuals. Liability issues cited.

Does anyone have access to Elastosil?