Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Sierra - Ionian Basin 6/11-13

Display Avatars Sort By:
Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Sierra - Ionian Basin 6/11-13 on 06/06/2010 14:43:41 MDT Print View

Anyone interested in a little trip into Kings Canyon next weekend 6/11-13. Thinking of leaving Bay Area Friday morning and heading to Florence Lake. The trip would be a little over 50 miles and go from Florence lake to Goddard Canyon and do a loop off-trail in the snow. The route would go up North Goddard Creek past Davis Lake and cross the pass to Wanda Lake. From there a short hop across Muir Pass leaving the JMT/PCT before Helen Lake and head into the Ionian Basin past Martha Lake returning to Florence lake via Goddard Canyon. I expect twenty miles of continuous snow and I'm planning on snowshoeing a good chunk of that.

I have to fly out of SFO Sunday evening so I'll have to leave Florence Lake by 4pm.

I did the Rae Lakes Loop two weeks ago and it was ideal snowshoeing and zero people out and about. Why wait for summer and your snowshoes are lonely?

Any takers?

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Sierra - Ionian Basin 6/11-13" on 06/06/2010 17:35:02 MDT Print View

That sounds like a great trip, Greg, but we're at a soccer tournament that weekend.

Plus, you walk so freakin' fast! ; )

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Sierra - Ionian Basin 6/11-13 on 06/06/2010 19:23:12 MDT Print View

Greg, my vacation starts the week after...the 14-15. My back is soooooo much better, if your time coincided with mine, I would be sooooo in!! Darnit!!!

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Sierra - Ionian Basin 6/11-13 on 06/06/2010 22:30:25 MDT Print View

Unfortunately, my sister is graduating on Sunday. This sounds like another great trip for you Greg. I am still looking forward to your Rae Lakes report. Have a great adventure and take plenty of pictures.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
Hours on 06/07/2010 06:04:17 MDT Print View

How many hours a day will you be hiking?

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: Hours on 06/07/2010 07:22:36 MDT Print View

I would expect Friday to go fairly late into the evening due to late start) unless by some miracle Goddard Canyon is snow free quite a ways up. Saturday will be a fairly long day, 6am-7pm? This is the day the the snow covered off-trail section is accomplished. Sunday would likely be a shorter day 6am-3pm, all downhill.

Overall, this looks like a fairly aggressive trip so the hours will be longer and the miles harder to come by. But the snow conditions will dictate the pace and the hours.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
dangit on 06/07/2010 12:09:56 MDT Print View

If I didn't have plans this weekend already, I'd be up for trying to keep up with you! Have a great, and safe, trip!