Forum Index » GEAR » best sandal for urban distance walking?

Display Avatars Sort By:
N. F.
(NeezyDeezy) - F

Locale: ADKs
best sandal for urban distance walking? on 06/06/2010 09:04:35 MDT Print View

Hi guys, I'm going on a sight-seeing trip in southern Spain, where it's going to be very hot. I need a pair of comfortable sandals to help stay cool while I walk around the cities.

I will not be hiking or camping, so the weight of a pack need not be considered. So basically, what is the best urban long-distance walking sandal?

Thanks!

Jeffrey Kuchera
(frankenfeet)

Locale: Great Lakes
Best Urban Walking Sandal. on 06/06/2010 11:01:39 MDT Print View

Based on your criteria my personal favorite would be a pair of chaco sandals.

Chaco Website

edit for spelling error

Edited by frankenfeet on 06/06/2010 19:35:21 MDT.

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: best sandal for urban distance walking? on 06/06/2010 11:25:04 MDT Print View

Chaco Z2.

Have miles and miles on them throughout all of central america, still use them today 6 years later. Can also pull the webbing through so you can use them with socks, but the toe loop helps a lot with lateral stability.

James McDaniel
(BigEarth) - F
best sandal for urban distance walking on 06/06/2010 12:07:25 MDT Print View

+1 on the Z2

The magic to me is how your foot doesn't slide around.

Another neat thing about those thing are, I always hated flipflops having something between my toes, for some reason ,it's ok with these things.

Jeffrey Kuchera
(frankenfeet)

Best Urban Walking Sandal. on 06/06/2010 12:21:23 MDT Print View

Specifically I like the Chaco ZX1's. I don't like the toe strap and I really like the split strap design. The split strap design seems to better conform to my feet.

Brian Alexander
(Basin) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Best Urban Walking Sandal. on 06/06/2010 15:34:54 MDT Print View

I love my Chaco Z1 sandals. Also, the Keen Newport H2 are nice. The Chacos have a hard sole (not cushiony), but is very supportive. I think it would probably be better if you are on your feet on pavement for long time periods. So try on some Z1/Z2 and see what you like.

Bobby Ess
(persianpunisher)
Chacos or KEEN on 06/06/2010 18:23:32 MDT Print View

I have the Chaco Z2s (love them) and the KEEN Venice H2. Both are awesome, if you want a bit more protection, go for the Keen, plus they fit better if you have wide feet.

Jeffrey Kuchera
(frankenfeet)

Chacos come in wide widths. on 06/06/2010 18:44:11 MDT Print View

The wide footed need not be weary of chacos. Chacos are available in wide widths.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
chacos on 06/06/2010 19:20:38 MDT Print View

it's unanimous.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Chacos come in wide widths. on 06/06/2010 19:46:46 MDT Print View

> The wide footed need not be weary of chacos. Chacos are available in wide widths.

I wish I had known this when I got some. I had to modify my Chacos with an exacto knife because the heel was too narrow.

I might also suggest Piper sandals. I've ordered some but have not yet received them. They look a little less like sport sandals but appear to have a similar strapping to Chacos.
https://www.pipersandals.com/

Jeffrey Kuchera
(frankenfeet)

Chaco wides. on 06/06/2010 20:09:21 MDT Print View

Yeah for some reason chaco doesn't make it blatantly clear that they sell wide width sandals on their website. There is no mention of the fact when viewing their sizing chart. They do list wide widths available for some of their styles on their website when you are actually viewing their products though.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
best sandal for urban distance walking? on 06/06/2010 22:01:29 MDT Print View

I'm still a Teva guy, although I think every person under 25 at the bike race I was at today had Chacos. Maybe they're the summer version of the North Face fleece. I've got some Keen's (Newport?), and they just seem hotter to me.

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: best sandal for urban distance walking? on 06/06/2010 22:23:29 MDT Print View

My main issue with Tevas is the velcro. They used to make a sandal called the 5.10 that had 5.10 climbing rubber on the bottom and fastex buckles instead of velcro. Some of my favorite sandals ever.

Jeffrey Kuchera
(frankenfeet)

The original sport sandal. on 06/06/2010 22:24:08 MDT Print View

Good call Joe. Teva did invent and market the modern sport sandal afterall.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Keen, si! on 06/07/2010 08:58:01 MDT Print View

I have Chacos and I think they make an excellent product, but I live in my Keen Newports. IF I ever manage to wear them out, I will replace them with the H2 model that has synthetic webbing rather than leather. I recommend the Keens for the extra protection-- you get the ventilation but your toes aren't out in harm's way and more sunburn protection too.

Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: best sandal for urban distance walking? on 06/09/2010 11:11:29 MDT Print View

I’ve spent several weeks in Spain (central, eastern, and southern)
A sandal with a good cushy heel and a well-centered arch goes a long way.

My wife and I have tried the Chaco Z2. We could never get used to the big toe squeeze. This past 12 months, and some of it in Spain, my wife has been using the Chaco Z1. She likes the arch. However, for long distance walking and standing, she says her Teva Tera fi2’s win hands down. She says the strapping and softness/cush is much better and they’re easier to maintain/clean.

After a year, she has now switched back to Terra Fi 2’s (now the 3’s).

I’ve also tried a couple dozen sandals and I still prefer the Teva Tera Fi 2’s for an abundance of reasons which I might have covered in other posts.

My wife does not use socks, but she will don them when backpacking. I always, and stylishly of course, wear socks with my sandals to prevent blisters, and to keep my feet from burning up in the Spanish desert.

Good luck on your sandal choice.
-Barry

Disclaimer: I wish Teva paid me.

Zack Freije
(oldskool) - F

Locale: Ohio
Re: Re: best sandal for urban distance walking? on 06/12/2010 12:42:08 MDT Print View

1. Chaco
2. Keen

But, it all depends on your foot size and shape. Make sure you test the shoes to see if the shape of the sole fits your foot properly. I've had good and bad experiences with both.

That being said, my salomon trail running shoes are practically as light and airy. I tend to prefer those in most cases myself.