Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Buying etiquette: sneaky buyers.
Display Avatars Sort By:
wax wax
(wax) - F
. on 06/05/2010 07:38:56 MDT Print View

Edited by wax on 08/27/2010 04:52:03 MDT.

Sean Staplin
(mtnrat) - MLife

Locale: Southern Cdn Rockies
PM sent message on 06/05/2010 08:42:20 MDT Print View

I think your thread is a good reminder. I did forget to do so on something I bought. It wasn't to be sneaky, I just forgot. I think that is the most common reason. Again a good reminder as it really helps to keep track of what may be going on with an item.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Buying etiquette: sneaky buyers on 06/05/2010 09:01:39 MDT Print View

I think the "PM Sent" is often used wrongly in regards that some post "PM Sent" to stall gear from getting sold, because everyone thinks the item has sold when only an inquiry has been made.

This subject has been covered numerous times. I think Gear Swap is pretty fair and works pretty well, although I think threads should be updated to state that items have SOLD in the subject lines.

david woods
(woodsie) - F

Locale: Middle Tennessee
how it goes on 06/05/2010 09:06:20 MDT Print View

1st off, sometimes i think we take this gear stuff way too seriously. it's just gear after all.

1. no cross post (means, not elsewhere on bpl, elsewhere on www ok, right?) 2. post as sold, when is (sellers resp. not buyers) 3. play nice (easy, right?)

at times i think confusion breeds with the frenzy over 'hot' items, like a $10 pro 90 balaclava that hit last night around 1:30 cst. at least two of us trying within 10 minutes.

who pm 1st, who post 1st, which do you do 1st? if the seller does not specify, I pm, or email if given -- then post so seller knows i'm interested b4 others that's paramount, right?

it's the sellers thread/sale, ultimately they manage it based on thier rules of angagement and follow up.

roll with it, take it lightly, if I miss out it wasn't meant to be and a better deal may be round the bend in the long run....

just my 2c's

Henry Blake
(Dragon) - F

Locale: Minnesota
Sold Items on 06/05/2010 09:32:14 MDT Print View

I like it when the seller leaves the price on the thread. Then, even months later, my research provides data.

Removing the price when sold serves no purpose, in my mind.

wax wax
(wax) - F
. on 06/05/2010 09:33:25 MDT Print View

Edited by wax on 08/27/2010 04:57:51 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Sorry, not interested in the balaclava... on 06/05/2010 09:47:48 MDT Print View

Realized my error and have already corrected my post.

No, it's not too much to ask. And I agree, it would avoid misunderstandings.

Going back to your original post, I don't believe most people are trying to be 'sneaky,' so I would submit that that was a poor choice of words.

tim hower
(jeepcachr) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
not posting on 06/05/2010 09:54:36 MDT Print View

Is it being sneaky if I pm the seller with a question or an offer on an item. Should I post in the thread that I did that?

Not posting it any where else means not posting it on another web site which happens all the time. I follow several forums and see the same sellers posting the same things on multiple sites. So it may just be that the seller sold it on the other site. So then its the sellers fault for posting it in multiple places and not updating it here when it's been sold.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: not posting on 06/05/2010 10:06:50 MDT Print View

As an aside, I find the stipulation that whatever you post here for sale can't be posted elsewhere is plain stupid. Period.

Ankar Sheng
(Whiskyjack) - MLife

Locale: The Canadian Shield
whooptydoo on 06/05/2010 10:10:01 MDT Print View

Unless I particularly feel like it I wouldn't bother constantly updating the world every time I make an inquiry or offer. If you're chapped that you sent an email for nothing take it up with the seller, it's their thread, they should update it. Even then, it's just a second hand gear swap, it's not like people don't have lives or anything better to do.

If you can't handle the horrors of sending an email about something thats already sold, stick to retail.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: not posting on 06/05/2010 10:10:18 MDT Print View

But back to topic...

I sometimes PM the seller directly with questions and/or with counter offers. I am sure others do the same.

I see no problem with the above -- just so long as the seller sells to the first person who accepts the stated selling price -- or if no one -- then the highest of the counter offers. It's what I do as a seller.

david woods
(woodsie) - F

@ ben2 on 06/05/2010 10:22:24 MDT Print View

ben,

re: "stipulation that whatever you post here for sale can't be posted elsewhere is plain stupid"

someone correct if wrong, but i think this has been clarified before....

cross posting, means posting somewhere else on bpl that something is listed in gs fs.

if you list in HF, or WB, or elsewhere the same item it's okay, I think so anyway according to the "policy"?

Brian Alexander
(Basin) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Buying etiquette: sneaky buyers. on 06/05/2010 10:28:59 MDT Print View

I'm new here, but if I may. It seems that, "Play nice" is a little vague or lacking. In other forums a simple rule such as the first "I'll take it" in the thread gets the item. Then they PM the seller about the details. Other people will second or third the "I'll take it" in case the sale falls through.

This works well IMO because it sets a standard and keeps everyone informed as to the condition of the sale. Maybe BPL could incorporate such a rule?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: @ David on 06/05/2010 10:30:01 MDT Print View

David:

I think I read somewhere that if you post something for sale here on BPL, then you can't post the same on any other forums out there. I hope I am wrong -- because that's just plain stupid (as stated).

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Buying etiquette: sneaky buyers on 06/05/2010 10:48:27 MDT Print View

@Wax, I almost thought that all of your posts were in Gear Swap, until I realized it is only 96% of them.

I admit that I check Gear Swap really often, and before the I check other recent posts. Sometimes the timing is perfect! Always seems that everytime I give up on finding a good listing and don't check it I miss out on something that I was looking for at a steal of a price. Oh well. :)

What I really, really, really hate is when someone posts free gear and gives it to someone that didn't PM first.

Edited by Coldspring on 06/05/2010 10:50:35 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Buying etiquette: sneaky buyers. on 06/05/2010 10:50:05 MDT Print View

I get no value out of the 'PM Sent' courtesy messages.

Everytime I See the seller have to post 'Item still for sale', I know it was just another 'PM Sent' posting meant to confuse the situation and reduce interest in the item.

PM Sent means nothing except a message has been sent. If the item hasn't been sold, I really don't care to know who is messaging about it.

Sherry Thoeny
(thoeny) - F

Locale: Arkansas
How is it sneaky? on 06/05/2010 10:55:01 MDT Print View

I guess I am confused. How is it sneaky to PM someone and not post that you sent a PM? I have sent a PM before without posting it to the thread. How did I get an advantage by doing that and therefore become a "sneaky buyer"? I never considered it rude, sneaky, or otherwise wrong to do so. I have also replied to a thread without sending a PM. I am relatively new to the forums, so did not realize the proper etiquette was to do both. I will follow that from now on. But still do not understand why it is sneaky not to post to the thread when I send a PM.

Ankar Sheng
(Whiskyjack) - MLife

Locale: The Canadian Shield
How is it Sneaky? on 06/05/2010 11:02:31 MDT Print View

It isn't. Nor is it rude. Don't sweat it.

Jeff K
(jeff.k) - F

Locale: New York
Re: Buying etiquette: sneaky buyers. on 06/05/2010 11:06:18 MDT Print View

I agree with others that the "PM Sent" message is useless.

It could mean that someone is willing to pay full price and wants to make a deal. However, it could also mean that someone is getting a quote on shipping, negotiating a price, asking about sizing, etc.

If someone feels the need to post to say "PM Sent" globally, then they should also be willing to globally state the nature of their message.

david woods
(woodsie) - F

@ ben on "cross posting" on 06/05/2010 11:16:29 MDT Print View

ben,
see this thread, next to last post per Bpl staff,

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28989&skip_to_post=242342#242342