Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Resort recommendations for a post-Glacier NP hike
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Resort recommendations for a post-Glacier NP hike on 06/05/2010 00:08:45 MDT Print View

So what do you recommend for a one-night stay after a week of hiking in Glacier? I'd like to keep it under $125 a night.

Ya, I know in my other threads I said I wanted to save money, but this is going to be a rare trip for me, since I live in Wisconsin and I don't have the luxury of getting to that part of the nation on a frequent basis. Might as well splurge once!

Edited by T.L. on 06/05/2010 00:18:05 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Resort recommendations for a post-Glacier NP hike on 06/05/2010 01:05:38 MDT Print View

Which side of the park will you end up on? That makes a lot of difference.

--B.G.--

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Resort recommendations for a post-Glacier NP hike on 06/05/2010 01:18:19 MDT Print View

Well, I thought about that. I'll be ending early in the day on the northwest side near Polebridge. The west side makes most sense, but could probably do the east side, since it only takes 2-3 hours to drive from one side to another. I guess I'll push for a spot on the west side, but if there's just a blow-your-mind-away hotel anywhere else, I could probably do it.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Resort recommendations for a post-Glacier NP hike on 06/05/2010 02:04:05 MDT Print View

On the southwest side, the whole Whitefish-Columbia Falls area is full of lodging for the winter downhill ski folks, if that appeals to you. Even farther down the road is Kalispell, and I spent an eternity there one weekend.

There is some lodging around East Glacier. I prefer the St. Mary area, but lodging up there is even thinner to find.

--B.G.--

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Resort recommendations for a post-Glacier NP hike on 06/05/2010 05:29:39 MDT Print View

Many Glacier Lodge

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Resort recommendations for a post-Glacier NP hike on 06/05/2010 08:34:38 MDT Print View

See if the Lake McDonald lodge has a small lakeside cabin for you. It will be a bit more than $125 though. They do have a generic motel on the grounds as well. Their dining room serves excellent food.

John's Many Glacier Hotel is a fun experience as well. Paper-thin walls, perfect setting, and it reeks of history. The great meal would be back down to the main road at the junction--the Cattle Company.

If you do a place at St. Mary, the place to eat breakfast and lunch is the Park Cafe.

Are you flying back from Great Falls, or Kalispell? If it's Great Falls, then don't forget about the East Glacier Lodge.

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 06/05/2010 09:36:31 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Resort recommendations for a post-Glacier NP hike on 06/05/2010 14:48:24 MDT Print View

Gary, I'm actually driving out to Montana. Road trip! So, that's also why a spot on the east side is doable.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep 'em coming if there are any more!

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Another cool hotel on 06/05/2010 15:24:12 MDT Print View

Somehow I thought you were renting a car, Travis. No matter, as this offers you good flexibility (watch your driving from Polebridge to Bowman, big rocks, etc.).

Another lodging idea--the Izaac Walton Hotel in Exxex, half way between West Glacier and East Glacier on Hwy. 2. Google them--you can splurge and sleep in a caboose in luxury! And eat well too.

If you'd rather dirtbag it, you could always snag a $50 cabin at Swiftcurrent Lodge (best to reserve it ahead of time, to be sure they have a room for you--it's high season), and then drive the short way back down to the Many Glacier Hotel and bask in its glory for free. The view from the hotel's deck is my favorite on the planet--3 major valleys converge there, Grinnell, Swiftcurrent, and the Ptarmigan Wall complex. The view is even better at the parking area up above the hotel just east. It's cheaper as well, just bring your own beer and sit on the rocks for the sunset.

Whatever you choose to do, please post your plans. If I'm not in Canada by that time, I'd love to share a sunset beer with you and hear your stories of Boulder Pass.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Another cool hotel on 06/05/2010 17:09:12 MDT Print View

Gary, thanks again for your help here, and on my other Glacier threads. I'd certainly like to take you up on the beer offer if you're around!

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: glacier hotels on 06/05/2010 20:26:44 MDT Print View

IMO Many Glacier is by far the most iconic lodge in the park. Never eaten there.

The food at the Lake McDonald Lodge is quite good (or was last fall).

Richard Rini
(rarini) - MLife

Locale: Southeast
Act Fast! on 06/06/2010 11:37:37 MDT Print View

Travis,

I do not know when you plan on going but if you are considering staying in NP lodging you might want to get reservations fast. I'm heading up to Glacier in early August and almost all of the NP hotels/motels are booked.

I stayed at Many Glacier Lodge a couple of years ago and ate at their restaurant and it was pretty good! Outside of Many Glacier in the town of Bab there is an awesome steak house. I believe it's called the Cattleman's Super Club Steakhouse (not sure on the name). But I got a huge T-bone for (320z?) $26.00.

Let me know if you have any questions about the accommodations. I have stayed at the following locations in the Park; Many Glacier, Rising Sun, Swift Current.

Ric

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Got a room. on 06/06/2010 15:13:14 MDT Print View

So I checked the available rooms on the only night I'd be able to stay.....hardly anything left anywhere!!

Got a room at the Village Inn at Apgar. Not the iconic lodges, but hey, it'll still be awesome.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Travis isn't homeless! on 06/06/2010 15:44:09 MDT Print View

Way to go, Travis. You're all set. Especially if you can scam a ground floor lakeside room--the lake's right there (and of course the kiddies splashing about until sunset). It's a nice setting.

Better yet, why don't you drive the short way up to the L. McDonald Lodge, bring a couple beers in a backpack, and find a nice private spot on the lake shore to hang out and relax. Then, treat your lady to a fine meal in their dining room with all the money you saved on lodging?

What a grand week you'll have. Be sure to post a report on your hike, with lots of pics.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Travis isn't homeless! on 06/06/2010 16:07:00 MDT Print View

Gary, if you're in the area on August 8th, thats the night I'm staying at the lodge.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Apgar on the 8th? on 06/07/2010 11:34:56 MDT Print View

I thought you were staying at Kintla Lake on the 6th. So where do you stay on the 7th, Bowman CG? Anyway, if I'm in the area, I'll find you, Travis. We can poke chollas and talk smart...

I'll be doing most of my GNP hikes the first few weeks of July. Then the Feds fly me from Great Falls to Hartford, CT for some disaster medical response training. When I get back to Gt. Falls July 31, it'll be time to drive up to Banff for a few weeks. I want to be able to finish that and get down to Yellowstone for a couple trips before the snow falls. Then a few overnighters back here in CO to end the summer season.

But if I decide to dink around before Banff, maybe I can poke a cholla with you. Stay tuned...

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Apgar on the 8th? on 06/07/2010 15:43:31 MDT Print View

Gary,
Since I have to hitch from Kintla Campground back to my car at Bowman on the 7th, I'm playing it safe and had reservations for the 8th. Just in case I wasn't able to hitch out the afternoon of the 7th!

So, my hazy and fuzzy plan is to hitch out on the 7th, reach my car at Bowman late that evening. Drive to somewhere in the national forest and explore and/or rest. Wake up on the 8th, and do some more exploring (maybe find some beer?) and get to the lodge at check-in time.

OR, if I feel like paying the extra fee and if they have space, I'll just take a spot at Bowman for the night.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
If it was me??? on 06/18/2010 16:51:06 MDT Print View

If it was me id stay in polebridge at the little cabin behind the hostel that I believe John Fredricks owns you have to shower in the hostel and use a privy but it is a good experience and the food at the northern lights saloon used to be pretty good. I was married to ex #2 there before we started the nuptual hike in glacier At least we started out right... maybe if we had been light weight then we could have made it. Have fun