Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Visiting Canada
Display Avatars Sort By:
Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Visiting Canada on 06/03/2010 16:04:23 MDT Print View

We want to take a day trip across the border to visit Kingston, Ontario in a couple of weeks.

My sister does not have a passport. She was told they take 4-6 weeks to obtain.

Is there any combination of other identification that would be acceptable? For example, she has her birth certificate and photo ID.

FWIW: it will be a family group, and the rest of us all do have passports.


Edited by blean on 06/03/2010 16:07:23 MDT.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Visiting Canada on 06/03/2010 16:22:09 MDT Print View

I'm afraid your sister is SOL if she can't get her passport...I have meetings there every couple of months and there are signs all over with the requirements.

On a brighter note, I've known a couple of people who have received their passports back in just two weeks.

One other caution...I had a rental car for my last trip. Coming back into the States I was delayed an hour in a rather high-security environment because the plate on my rental car didn't match the make & model car they had on file for that license plate. I was pleased to see the extra care being taken checking all vehicles coming into the country, but was a little frustrated that I was delayed because their database hadn't been updated and that it took them an hour to contact someone in the PA DMV to verify that it was legit. Oh well - but I'm driving my own car the next time.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Visiting Canada on 06/03/2010 20:14:43 MDT Print View

Read up on "rush" application. Walk-in is best if there's an office nearby.

Edited by ben2world on 06/03/2010 20:15:22 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Visiting Canada on 06/03/2010 20:29:44 MDT Print View

Everything is available, but for a cost, of course!

I have no experience at all with this company, but they seem legit. Might be able to assist.

Also, you can get an expedited passport from the gov, see here for more info.

Brian Camprini
(bcamprini) - MLife

Locale: Southern Appalachians
Re: Visiting Canada on 06/03/2010 20:45:01 MDT Print View

I agree with trying for the expedited thing yourself. If it's really urgent, though, I've witnessed some near miracles from this company, for a price of course...

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Go to a passport agency on 06/04/2010 00:56:09 MDT Print View

You can get them rushed, but it costs more. You have to get to a passport agency. And if she has never had a passport before, there are a number of things you need to have before you can get one.

Best of luck!

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Re: Visiting Canada on 06/04/2010 01:33:53 MDT Print View

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. I have forwarded them to her.

-- Bob