Tarp without bivy?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rick Horne
(Rick778) - M

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell
Tarp without bivy? on 05/31/2010 13:16:15 MDT Print View

For those of you who use a tarp, what are your thoughts on not using a bivy? This would be for June through September Sierra camping. My plan is to use a Mountain Laurel Designs Grace Duo tarp, Gossamer Gear Bug Canopy, polycro ground cloth and Therm-a-Rest NeoAir. This would be used for solo and 2 person trips.

Chris Townsend
(Christownsend) - MLife

Locale: Cairngorms National Park
Tarp without bivy? on 05/31/2010 14:00:29 MDT Print View

Should be fine. I did a five week walk in the High Sierra with a GoLite Cave 1 tarp and a down bag. I didn't have a bivi bag. In fact most nights I didn't use the tarp but just slept out.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Tarp without bivy? on 05/31/2010 15:07:11 MDT Print View

You'll be fine. Even if your down does get a little damp, the sun will come out and you can dry everything. The only issue is mosquitoes in june and july. I use a nettent (homemade serenity clone) for this, but you can survive with a headnet and lots of deet.

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Locale: Vegas
Re: Re: Tarp without bivy? on 05/31/2010 17:10:29 MDT Print View

I've used my GG SpinnTwinn in hard rain and got a little of rain spray on me...which inspired this solution. Use the hooks from your GG bug bivy to hook your rain jacket to the entrance to block rain spray.

When I'm on a solo trip...
Rain coat storm door 01

When my wife is with me...
Rain coat storm door 02

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Tarp without bivy? on 06/01/2010 10:02:09 MDT Print View

I use a "Two Person" tarp. No bivy needed. Only a head net for really bad bugs, but bugs really don't bother me, and I rarely bring one.

Ed Engel
(Doorknob) - F

Locale: West of what you think is west
Bug Bivy on 06/01/2010 10:10:11 MDT Print View

Keep in mind that when it gets windy, the wind will go straight through the netting of the bug bivy. Can lead to some cold nights.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Why a tarp? on 06/01/2010 10:58:29 MDT Print View

Why even mess with a tarp? I can see taking one in the unlikely chance you have rain at night but a tarp just blocks out the stars. I usually go the other route and use a bivy without a tarp.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Why a tarp? on 06/01/2010 21:13:56 MDT Print View

I usually bring a tarp, but rarely set it up. I always sleep without any shelter, unless it is raining or snowing. Spending a night in the rain/snow in a bivy is not fun.