Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Homemade light-weight tent pole. Any ideas?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Homemade light-weight tent pole. Any ideas? on 05/28/2010 18:35:12 MDT Print View

I don't use trekking poles and need a single pole for my Hexamid.

I'm not above using a stick found on site but would like the convenience of a dedicated pole. I looked at an alum golf ball retriever today and the adjusters wouldn't tighten enough to keep it from slipping. Perhaps there are better ones than the one I looked at.

I could simply buy some Easton poles but what fun would that be! Any ideas?

James DeMonaco
(jdemonaco) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco
Maybe golf club shafts? on 05/28/2010 22:55:18 MDT Print View

Thats really light and you can customize the length and ends.

Don Miller
(UlTipiGuru) - F

Locale: IOWA
arrows on 05/29/2010 07:49:15 MDT Print View

You can take an aluminum arrow and slide a carbon arrow inside of it. EXTREMELY strong and UL. Use arrow inserts and threaded rod to attach the the sections together to desired length. You can also go through quest outdoor fabrics and they sell carbon, aluminum, and different inserts.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm#TENT%20POLES

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Tent pole on 05/29/2010 19:03:18 MDT Print View

I made a 5 section 54" Easton .344 pole for my home made tent. With shock cord and ends it only weighs 2.5 oz. I need to be careful setting it up because the pole flexes easily. I don't think it would do well in wind. If I had to do it again I would probably look for larger diameter carbon tubing.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Lightest on 05/29/2010 20:22:38 MDT Print View

The lightest option is a carbon one from Fibraplex (8 grains/inch). You can custom make one at their site to fit your needs.

Next lightest would be an Easton Nanolight pole which you can order from QuestOutfitters. I think that's about 13 grains/inch. Quest has other options too if you want something heavier. Most lightweight poles (ie. DAC Featherlight) are around 17-20 grains/inch.

Oh, Easton Carbon FX poles are 11-12 grains per inch and quite a bit stiffer than the Fibraplex.com ones, but I don't know of anywhere you can order them in small qtys.

Edited by dandydan on 05/29/2010 20:24:06 MDT.

James Byrnes
(backfeets1) - M

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri
MYOG tent poles on 05/30/2010 01:38:39 MDT Print View

I use .334 alu sections. The stresses on a tent pole are greatest in the center section because of leverage applied at ends, so try to use an odd number in making up the length you need, avoiding joints at center point. I also insert a carbon fiber section in the center section as this really stiffens up the pole. Use 1/16 inch bungee cord from a fabric store. Using longer fewer sections also reduces the number of ferrules (joints) for weight savings. (.344 ferrules weight .051 oz ea.)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: MYOG tent poles on 05/30/2010 12:41:03 MDT Print View

I need to modify some Fibraplex poles.

I have a set of Fibraplex poles that I use with my SpinnShelter, and I've used them several times in a couple of years. Each pole very blunt plastic end caps.

Over this past weekend, I was camped out in Yosemite and got snowed on. Between the weight of the snow on the shelter and the wind blowing, the bottom of one Fibraplex kicked out, so the foot of the shelter collapsed on me despite all of the guying. So, I had to get up at 3 a.m. to tighten everything up again.

I'm thinking about putting some kind of a dull spike (finishing nail?) on one end to stick better in soil. Then I am thinking about putting something similar and fatter at the top end to poke into the grommet hole. I could fasten the nails to the Fibraplex using some steel wire covered by plastic tape.

Has anybody else had to do this?

--B.G.--

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Fibraplex on 05/30/2010 15:01:18 MDT Print View

If you can remove your existing tips, you could replace them with the 'point tips' from Fibraplex:
http://www.fibraplex.com/ProductPages/Pointed_tips.htm

Or you for an even bigger point you could replace your tips with the locking tips and then file down the locking tip that contacts the ground so it's a nice 1.5" long point. This might not work though if these are hollow.
http://www.fibraplex.com/ProductPages/Locking-tips.htm

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Fibraplex on 05/30/2010 15:19:20 MDT Print View

I think I need something as long as a locking tip, but much more pointy. I envisioned a solid finishing nail sticking out about 3/4".

--B.G.--

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Fibraplex on 05/30/2010 16:06:17 MDT Print View

Get someone to machine up replacement nylon tip inserts exactly how you want them. Rounded ends advised!

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Fibraplex on 05/30/2010 16:58:05 MDT Print View

The very end needs to be smooth so as not to abrade anything in my pack. A finishing nail coated in epoxy is my current thought. Besides, this is MYOG, not farm it out to a shop.

--B.G.--

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locking tip on 05/30/2010 18:27:25 MDT Print View

Why not use a locking tip and file it down as pointy as you wish? This seems a lot stronger than epoxying a nail to the end of your pole.

Edited by dandydan on 05/30/2010 18:27:55 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Locking tip on 05/30/2010 19:30:27 MDT Print View

Dan, I don't have any locking tip to cut down. Also, I had no intention of epoxying the nail to the end of the pole. As I stated, I intended to coat the nail head with epoxy and to fasten it to the pole with wire. Thin steel wire is strong.

--B.G.--

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Poles on 05/31/2010 01:58:31 MDT Print View

If you're not in a hurry, the locking tips are $2 ea from Fibraplex, but if you're confident that the nails will be strong enough then you may as well do that since it's quicker and cheaper.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Thanks for the replies. on 06/01/2010 17:47:39 MDT Print View

Appreciated.

Kevin Egelhoff
(kegelhoff) - F

Locale: Southern Cal
Superlight Adjustable Carbon Pole. on 06/02/2010 11:28:18 MDT Print View

We have been working on something for 6 months now to give you and adjustable height pole that adds less then 4 oz. weight at a 72" or less height. Larger diameter as well to keep it pretty strong yet super light. Hope to post some more info soon!
Sorry to be so vague but I just wanted to let you know this has been in the works for a while.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Superlight Adjustable Carbon Pole. on 06/02/2010 11:40:57 MDT Print View

Kevin,
Are you planning on selling these?

Thanks
Dan

Kevin Egelhoff
(kegelhoff) - F

Locale: Southern Cal
Re: Re: Superlight Adjustable Carbon Pole. on 06/02/2010 12:13:40 MDT Print View

I'm maknig them for a company that will be selling them. They are going to be very light and should work great! I think they will be well received!

Scott Van Doeselaar
(vandoe) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
Re: Re: Re: Superlight Adjustable Carbon Pole. on 06/08/2010 14:35:26 MDT Print View

Kevin,

I believe that I am using a prototype of this pole that you gave me, if so I can attest to the fact that it is working well and I think will be popular. The adjustment mechanism may need some tweaking for long term durability, but every time I use it I am amazed at how light it is. It is comforting to know that I will be able to get more if the need arises.

Scott

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Homemade light-weight tent pole. Any ideas? on 06/08/2010 15:52:05 MDT Print View

I use a couple of 47" carbon golf club shafts for my GG 'One'. They weigh just over 2oz each. They are tall enough to use as trekking poles if needed.

For my Golite Hut 1 I use 3 sections I cut down from 3 39" shafts, Two join for the front pole, giving me 41" or 43" height depending which way I join them.

For my Golite Hex 3 I join all three together.