Forum Index » GEAR » hygiene

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Locale: Costa Mesa, CA
hygiene on 05/26/2010 20:03:53 MDT Print View

What do you take on trips to stay clean? Soap? Purell? Both? Something different?

Colin Matthews
(litebrite) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Usually just sanitizer on 05/26/2010 20:09:41 MDT Print View

Sea To Summit hand sanitizer is nice and comes in a pretty small bottle.
I only bring soap on longer trips, where I'll be having to really wash up at some point and might have multiple pots/utensils to clean.
Sea To Summit makes a good biodegradable soap as well.

Colin Matthews
(litebrite) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Another plus-side of sanitizer: on 05/26/2010 20:13:35 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20830

Mat Tallman
(wehtaM) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: hygiene on 05/26/2010 20:21:53 MDT Print View

Sea to Summit dehydrated soap...comes in little leaves/strips.

Toss a few of the leaves into a ziploc bag, dribble some water in there, and let it sit or knead it a little. Instant liquid soap.

Works pretty well. Lots of people use Dr. Bronner's too.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: hygiene on 05/26/2010 20:22:47 MDT Print View

I hate to scare my upcoming trip partners, but I honestly can't recall when I last used soap.

Sean Nordeen
(Miner) - F - M

Locale: SoCAL
hygiene on 05/26/2010 20:35:29 MDT Print View

A wet wipe goes a long way if you keep adding water. Discard when it turns black and grab the next one.

Otherwise, nothing at all except prehaps rinsing in a stream/lake and some hand santizer.

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Locale: Costa Mesa, CA
both on 05/26/2010 21:13:15 MDT Print View

I usually like taking both. I didn't think of sanitizer as a fire starter though - pretty cool.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: hygiene on 05/26/2010 21:58:17 MDT Print View

Just Dr. Bronners to wash my hands, maybe my feet if they get really dirty and could lead to blisters. If there is a lake or river, and it is not too cold, I may go for a swim. My wife hates it, and says the truck stinks after I return from the trailhead. But I can't smell anything :)

So, Craig you have nothing too worry about... other than Starbucks may not let us in to get that victory Frappachino at the end of the hike.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"hygiene" on 05/26/2010 22:41:02 MDT Print View

If the opportunity presents itself I may take the time to do a light wash up with some Dr. Bronners freak soap. Swimming holes and brief dips in a creek or river are sufficient enough for me. I've been burning wood for boils lately so I'm slightly funkier than usual post trip. It doesn't help that I'm determined to not wash my BPL Beartooth Merino Hoody until the end of summer or when I just can't stand it anymore. So far it's smelling like an odd mix of teatree oil, sheep and ash.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: "hygiene" on 05/26/2010 22:44:40 MDT Print View

"So far it's smelling like an odd mix of teatree oil, sheep and ash"

Whats with sheep? ...Actually, nevermind

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"hygiene" on 05/26/2010 22:46:22 MDT Print View

They keep crawling under my quilt at night.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: "hygiene" on 05/26/2010 22:46:45 MDT Print View

HA!

Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
hygiene on 05/26/2010 23:19:38 MDT Print View

Whatever you choose, just do a good job with your hands around meal time. I once missed a "spot" and around 1am wondered when the vomiting was going to start. Remember you can't really leap out of a zipped up sleeping bag, bivy, or tent in an emergency.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: hygiene on 05/26/2010 23:24:09 MDT Print View

That's one reason why I try to never touch my food with my hands.

Tim Heckel
(ThinAir) - M

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs
No-Rinse on 05/27/2010 06:29:39 MDT Print View

I take no-rinse (www.norinse.com) on longer trips.
I don't get why people are proud of the fact that they don't try to stay clean.

Matt Sanger
(IPARider) - MLife
bronners on 05/27/2010 08:09:18 MDT Print View

A mini dropper bottle with some Bronner's peppermint is what we use. Might be able to get away with a micro dropper bottle.

I'm also switching to an acly stove, and will burn Everclear in it, in part because of the multiple use of the fuel - burn, sterilize, medicate...

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
everclear on 05/27/2010 08:55:58 MDT Print View

quite a bit more expensive though. It would allow me to take away the triple anti biotic ointment, but that only weighs 2 grams anyway. I actually don't like alcohol as a pain killer, it doesn't work that well for me, i can be drunk with a broken leg and still be in agony.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Hi Gene! on 05/27/2010 09:24:41 MDT Print View

I use Dr. Bronner's and/or alcohol gel in smaller bottles. When you do want to clean up, you can go a long ways with a small bowl of warm water, a little Dr. Bronner's and a synthetic cloth like the MSR Nano or a cut down PackTowl, or the good ol' bandana. It's just the basic sponge bath, but can make you feel pretty good.

A cut down milk jug bottom makes a good Leave No Trace sink and washtub to keep the soapy water out of the water sources. Little weight and you can stuff it full of odds and ends in the pack. Pick the size that suits you.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Hi Gene! on 05/27/2010 12:04:55 MDT Print View

I pretty much do it like Dale, except I don't carry alcohol gel, just regular alcohol.

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

Locale: bay area
bronners on 05/27/2010 12:34:29 MDT Print View

I love the stuff. A small squeeze bottle of it takes care of everything. I also use it as toothpaste. I also do laundry on a longer trip with it by adding it and hot water to a ziplock with my socks and undies.