Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Sublite vs. Sublite Sil
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Tucker
(BeartoothTucker) - M
Sublite vs. Sublite Sil on 05/25/2010 11:48:06 MDT Print View

Just a question, out of curiosity.

what is the major difference between them? i.e. advantages of tyvek vs. sil, disadvantages, etc...

Mat Tallman
(wehtaM) - F

Locale: Midwest
. on 05/25/2010 12:11:16 MDT Print View

Tyvek is lighter, breathable, and less waterproof, i.e. not suitable for continuous rain.

Sil weighs more, not breathable, but will keep the rain out in a sustained storm.

Brian Ahlers
(bahlers7) - F

Locale: Idaho
Sublite vs. Sublite Sil on 05/25/2010 12:41:22 MDT Print View

Would adding Nikwax waterproofing spray add substantial weight to the Sublite if you wanted a bit more rain protection? I've never used Nikwax, I don't know how effective it is...

Joel Waddell
(TenderPaw) - F

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Nikwax on 05/25/2010 14:17:13 MDT Print View

You could use a peice of scrap tyvek and weigh it, then pray it with Nikwax and then reweigh it to find out the dif.

Edited by TenderPaw on 05/25/2010 14:17:54 MDT.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Sublite vs Sublite Sil on 05/25/2010 14:41:13 MDT Print View

I believe the Sil version gets alot more CONDENSATION vs. Tyvek. I also believe the Sil version would last much longer then the Tyvek. I have used my Sublite Sil on quite a few hikes this year and I am very happy with the Sublite Sil!

Sublite Sil with MLD Dog Tarp..The tarp really helps because the Sublite really does not have a real vestibule.

Edited by Creachen on 05/25/2010 14:43:27 MDT.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Sublite vs Sublite Sil on 05/25/2010 15:13:38 MDT Print View

Jay,
Nice taut pitch on the tarp. Do you have to turn around three times before crawling into the Sublite?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Sublite vs. Sublite Sil on 05/25/2010 17:04:57 MDT Print View

Same name,same shape different market.
As pointed out above the Tyvek version was designed for dry areas or where condensation can be a big problem but not subjected to heavy rain falls.
Great if you like a rest in the afternoon sun.
The current version of the Sublite Sil has a vestibule, just not as large as Jay's ...
I know that Ray Estrella was out testing the wind performance of the Sil version.
That is dedication to the cause.
Franco

Brian Ahlers
(bahlers7) - F

Locale: Idaho
Sublite vs. Sublite Sil on 05/26/2010 13:39:18 MDT Print View

"The current version of the Sublite Sil has a vestibule, just not as large as Jay's ..."

Heh Heh! Does the Sil come with a doorbell?

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Field testing on 05/26/2010 13:44:50 MDT Print View

Ray Estrella, Carol Crooker, and Pam Wyant will be testing the Sublite Sil for BackpackGearTest.org - check there over the next four months for results in three different regions.