Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Peninsula Trail - Charles C. Deam Wilderness

Display Avatars Sort By:
Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Peninsula Trail - Charles C. Deam Wilderness on 05/24/2010 19:56:29 MDT Print View

Squeezed in a weekend getaway on 05.21.2010 through 05.23.2010. This is the Peninsula Trail inside of the Charles C. Deam Wilderness near Bloomington, Indiana. The trail leads and dead ends into Lake Monroe; the largest lake in Indiana. Here are a few shots.

Edited by Junction on 05/24/2010 19:58:03 MDT.

James McDaniel
(BigEarth) - F
Peninsula Trail - Charles C. Deam Wilderness on 05/24/2010 21:04:53 MDT Print View

My son and I did that one last year. I love that place. Hard to believe you're in Indiana.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Trail Conditions on 05/24/2010 22:27:09 MDT Print View

With all the rain in the area and with horses sharing the trail, things were a real mess. It was a real slip and slide on the way in. A buddy of mine and I hiked in at night. We hiked the 6-7 miles in and setup camp... stayed up till the sunrise came. Slept most of Saturday. Laid around the lake. Read a book. Went swimming. It was a real stress reliever. It was the same trial I did my first ever backpacking trip on. It was nice to be back. Sadly, there was a lot of trash left by other campers. I burned what I could. I carried out about 2-3lbs of old school 1/2" wide tent poles someone had left behind. It needs serious attention. I think the boaters are to blame.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Peninsula Trail - Charles C. Deam Wilderness" on 05/24/2010 23:03:46 MDT Print View

Beautiful photographs Justin, that's quite possibly the gnarliest caterpillar I've ever seen. Know the species?

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Caterpillar on 05/24/2010 23:37:33 MDT Print View

Thanks Eugene. I'm not much of a photographer, but I try. As far as the caterpillar, i'm also unfamiliar. I'll see what I can find out about him. There is a guy online who identifies them for free. Donations accepted. I'll give him a shot at it.

ETA - Perhaps Halysidota tessellaris or Dasychira obliquata. I haven't a clue.

Edited by Junction on 05/24/2010 23:54:08 MDT.

James McDaniel
(BigEarth) - F
Peninsula Trail - Charles C. Deam Wilderness on 05/25/2010 07:02:48 MDT Print View

Yeah, I hate the fact those boaters can get to it. You should have to earn those spots.

Thanks for cleaning up.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Peninsula Trail - Charles C. Deam Wilderness on 06/04/2010 20:49:02 MDT Print View

"Perhaps Halysidota tessellaris or Dasychira obliquata."

Juston,
If I had a dollar for everytime I read that on BPL!

Juston Taul
(Junction)

$1 on 06/04/2010 23:38:29 MDT Print View

I think we'd both have just one dollar. Haha! :D