Forum Index » GEAR » MLD Prophet vs. Exodus

Display Avatars Sort By:
Colin Matthews
(litebrite) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
MLD Prophet vs. Exodus on 05/23/2010 21:32:47 MDT Print View

I'm a little confused about the weight specs for these packs.
Obviously the Exodus is a bigger pack. Plus, it seems to have a beefier hip belt. Yet, on MLD's site, the weight specs show 14.25 oz for the Exodus, and 14.50 for the Prophet.
Is this accurate? If so, how can the lighter weight of the Exodus be explained?
Also, I've browsed some review threads already, but any insights about these two packs would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Ron Bell
(mountainlaureldesigns) - F - M

Locale: USA
Re: MLD Prophet vs. Exodus on 05/23/2010 22:27:33 MDT Print View

Hi Colin,

I fixed the specs.

Prophet is 14.5 and Exodus 15.

Thanks

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
MLD Prophet vs. Exodus on 05/24/2010 06:24:44 MDT Print View

Colin,
The two MLD packs, the Prophet and the Exodus, are very similar in both design concept and materials used. The major difference being pack volume/size. The Prophet has lighter webbing and related hardware but the main pack materials used in both are the same.

Quality of workmanship and materials is first rate, and MLD customer service is 2nd to none.

** Having accessories such as pack pockets as options the buyer has the ability to customize the pack/order as needed.

Edited by thomdarrah on 05/24/2010 07:41:40 MDT.

Colin Matthews
(litebrite) - F

Set-Up on 05/24/2010 09:35:37 MDT Print View

Thanks for the quick responses guys- Gotta love it when you can post a question about a pack and get a response from the guy who built it!
Capacity-wise, I think the Prophet is closer to what I'm after. I've had my Osprey Talon 44 for a few years and am looking to try something frameless. What kind of set-ups do you guys run in your Prophet/Exodus with your sleeping pad? (ie rolled up ridgerest, doubled-back z-lite, flat-lying foam pad.)

Cheers!

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
MLD Prophet vs. Exodus on 05/24/2010 12:28:54 MDT Print View

I just got my Exodus (size small) on Saturday. With the pockets and sternum strap it weighs in at 16 oz on the nose. The bottom of the pack has a nifty feature to compress it. I found out about this watching Jason Klass's video: http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/2010/04/mountain-laurel-designs-exodus-backpack.html

And then you should take a look at Hendrik Morkel's video for ideas on strapping a pad on the outside of the pack against your back. http://www.hikinginfinland.com/2010/05/packing-your-frameless-backpack.html

Edited by rosierabbit on 05/24/2010 12:34:30 MDT.

Colin Matthews
(litebrite) - F

Thanks on 05/25/2010 13:01:12 MDT Print View

Thanks for the links- Interesting stuff for sure. Definitely a whole other world when you start looking at frameless pack options! I am stoked to give it a try. What are you planning on using your Exodus for? I'm torn between that capacity and the Prophet. I currently use a 44l pack.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Why the Exodus on 05/25/2010 19:44:27 MDT Print View

I don't like to own a wardrobe of packs, so I have just 2 - a daypack and an all-season backpack. I love my Circuit, but I bought it about 3 years ago before it came in a small, which I really need. So I took a chance on trying a frameless pack in a size that fits better. I packed it up with my usual gear, and it looks like it's going to work great.

The Exodus is scrunchable to handle a variety of volumes, and it barely weighs a pound! I do all my backpacking in the PNW, year-round, usually above 5,000', so I always need a puffy jacket and a 20 degree bag or quilt, which I like to pack with lots of fluffing room at the bottom of the pack, rather than compressing to a down brick. I chose the Exodus to meet all those needs.

So I don't consider it too big, because it easily can be made smaller, the weight is not an issue, and the frameless style seems to work fine.