Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tarp beak calc?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Clint Wayman
(cwayman1)

Locale: East Tennessee, US
Tarp beak calc? on 05/22/2010 16:47:01 MDT Print View

Hi, been lurking for a good while, but finally making the first thread-start.

I'm starting a new tarp tonight, basing it loosely on the Stratiform III, but I just cannot figure out how to caculate beak sizes! How is this done? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Clint

Edited by cwayman1 on 05/22/2010 16:57:23 MDT.

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Tarp beak calc?" on 05/22/2010 22:15:17 MDT Print View

Clint,
If you've already gone through the process of designing the tarp, a beak shouldn't give you any trouble.

How much coverage you desire is up to you. If you chose too small of a beak, you don't accomplish the goals of storm worthiness and privacy. If you chose too large of a beak, getting in and out is inconvenient.

The dimensions are dependant on desired beak size and tarp size, overhangs and pitch. It's your call.

Here are four ideas to consider (in no particular order)

1. A paper scale model is pretty easy.

2. You could use trigonometry and a spreadsheet to design the beak.

3. I use CAD software for my MYOG projects and therefore a beak would be just another part of the drawings.

4. I've added a beak to an existing a tarp simply by setting the tarp up and holding a tape measure in place along the invisioned coverage.

Hope this helps,
-Lance

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1)

Locale: East Tennessee, US
Tarp beak on 05/23/2010 05:45:34 MDT Print View

Hey Lance,

Thanks a ton for the info. For designing, I've been using Google Sketchup and that has not been a problem at all, like this and this. It is just that I could not think of how to layout the non-right triangles on the silnylon correctly. The second link is pretty darn close to what I am going to be doing, and I am able to use right triangles for the beak, so it SHOULD go pretty easily. Thanks again.

Clint