Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
New bug bivy, sub 8 oz for less than $80!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Frank Steele
(knarfster) - F

Locale: Arizona
New bug bivy, sub 8 oz for less than $80! on 05/18/2010 16:05:30 MDT Print View

I just got this light weight bug bivy from what appears to be a new company, Bear Paw Tents.

I originally bought his Bug bivy, which has a hoop set-up, but it weighed 10.5 oz without the hoop in it and 13 with it (not including 4 stakes) on eBay for $75.

The owner was very accommodating when I asked him to make a different bivy, lighter with more room. This is what he came up with, and he is selling them on eBay for $75 including shipping. Not a bad bug bivy, mine weighs 7.9 oz on my Pelouze digital postal scale. It uses a more robust no-seeum than some other UL gear makers, hence the slightly higher weight than some others (has 2 inch Silnylon bathtub floor). But it should be more durable and you can't beat that price for under 8 oz.

It doesn't rain too much here in the Southwest, and when it does it is usually during the day when I am hiking (monsoons). I like to sleep under the stars, and if I think there might be rain I pull out my Oware Catttarp.

Here it is set up in my back yard with a Big Agnes 72 inch Air mattress.

.Bivy1Bivy2bivy3Bivy4

Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
bug bivy on 05/18/2010 16:43:24 MDT Print View

If you have a chance, could you measure the head clearance and the width?

Frank Steele
(knarfster) - F

Locale: Arizona
Measurements on 05/18/2010 16:51:16 MDT Print View

If I remember correctly it is 30 inches high in the middle of the triangle and 34 inched wide (will measure when i get home). I wanted something I could lay on my side in and read, which can't be done in their regular bug bivy. This replaces my Ti Goat bivy which compressed the knee/foot area of my bag with a 2.5 inch pad in it.