Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Some Tyvek Questions
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Some Tyvek Questions on 05/18/2010 10:54:25 MDT Print View

Life is getting in the way of getting out for the next couple weeks and I'm getting itchy and gotta do something, so I'm going to try and source some Tyvek material for some gear to keep me busy :)

I read through this monster thread and it leaves me with a couple questions.

First: How to do tie-outs? I would like to avoid the twist method, so I can get cleaner lines for shedding water. Is there a good way to attach webbing for tie-outs?

Second (related): the recommendation in that thread is to use 3M Super77 spray adhesive, as the bond is stronger than the material. I was wondering what this adhesive could stick to the Tyvek with similar/equal success. Could it attach nylon webbing for tie-outs? Could it attach some no-see-um netting? Could it attach some velcro? Could it attach my Coleman 10-cup camping coffee maker? :)

Thanks!

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Anyone? on 05/19/2010 09:28:32 MDT Print View

Bueller? Buuuueller? :)

Kendall Willets
(KWillets) - F

Locale: San Francisco
3m specs on 05/19/2010 10:58:45 MDT Print View

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtlx&X5x&yEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

3m says it sticks to nylon better than polyethylene (Tyvek).

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Re: 3m specs on 05/19/2010 11:45:53 MDT Print View

Thanks Kendall - that's awesome info there, I hadn't seen that before when I was looking at 3M's site. I'm gonna have to test it to see what the overlap shear strength is like for tyvek to nylon. Thom's data from that other thread suggested tyvek to tyvek was much higher than that peel strength of 2.6 lbs/in.