Lightweight camp shoes
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Cronshaw
(beemancron) - F

Locale: Southwest US
Lightweight camp shoes on 06/10/2006 09:00:17 MDT Print View

As a scout leader, I do not permit my scouts to wear open toed shoes (eg "flip-flops") on backpacking trips.

I have not tried these models but they seem like a good light closed toe shoe around camp at the end of a heard day of hiking.

I note there is no heel strap. The price is right!

http://www.allheart.com/ahcc2000.html

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: Lightweight camp shoes on 06/10/2006 12:23:20 MDT Print View

> I have not tried these models but they seem like a good light closed toe shoe around camp at the end of a heard day of hiking.

>I note there is no heel strap. The price is right!

$9 is certainly cheaper than Crocs, which are about $30. The Airwalk, available at Payless Shoe Source for $20, has a heel strap and is lighter than the Croc (Airwalk, size M12: 10.6 oz; Croc, size M10 (really a size 12): 13.2 oz). I'm curious whether these shoes are made of Croc-density or Airwalk-density material.

For river crossing, a heel strap equivalent can be made from light cord wrapped once around the ankle, passed through the holes, and tied.

Edited by Otter on 06/10/2006 12:37:35 MDT.

L. T.
(Guinness1759) - F
Re: Lightweight camp shoes on 06/10/2006 22:17:39 MDT Print View

I tried the Allheart as a cheaper alternative to Crocs. However, the XXL's were too small. I wear a size 12. I wound up sending them back and ordering a pair of Crocs. Be sure to order up a size when choosing Allhearts.