Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ryan's Journey
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Stirring the embers and good news on 06/23/2006 16:30:00 MDT Print View

Hi Miguel and others.

Have you all noticed how quite I have been through all this.

I loved the Satire.

I also have a great love of "the Bear" that goes back to my Boy Scout days and reading a lot of American Indian lore.

I think it is great when someone can plan and execute a hike such as what Ryan and crew has done. I would be happy to just be able to get out on the AT for 600 miles.

I was really sorry to hear about Ryan getting hurt and I hope they all get back safe. I look forward to reading about this hike how ever they decide to share it with us, in a new book or just a series of articles someplace.

Chris Jackson
(chris_jackson) - F
achilles heel on 06/23/2006 21:17:43 MDT Print View

On a more pedestrian note, I have heard that the evil ankle-twisting spirits can be deterred by wearing plastic ankle braces in conjunction with lightweight footwear. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of these? (The braces, not the spirits). If so, are they efficacious and comfortable enough to be worn for long distances? Powerful montypython incantations for warding off ankle-twisting spirits would also be appreciated.

Zack Karas
(iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - MLife

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Achilles Heel on 06/24/2006 06:16:15 MDT Print View

I have a long history of ankle sprains and the subsequent physical therapy. It was suggested to me by a therapist that I try the ASO (Ankle Stabilizing Orthosis) ankle brace. I have since become a firm believer in mine and the confidence it has given me to pursue hiking in trail runners. I have since worn one for the Colorado Trail and the Continental Divide Trail (one wore out and had to be replaced in the middle of the trail). They fit excellently in a trail runner, make it virtually impossible to roll your ankle, and are very comfortable. I highly recommend anyone with ankle issues to check them out. And on the ultralight side, a trail runner and the ASO brace still weighs far less than a boot.

Scott Lloyd
(scottlloyd23) - MLife

Locale: Swedish Lapland
Arctic1000 in NYTimes on 06/24/2006 09:52:18 MDT Print View

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/24/sports/othersports/24outdoors.html

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Almost to the Remotest place in America on 06/26/2006 10:53:56 MDT Print View

A little river crossing drama in the latest report on the Arctic 1000 blog.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Achilles Heel on 06/26/2006 11:25:53 MDT Print View

Zack, does that ankle brace stop "over" dorsiflexion, the cause of Ryan's injuries?

Chris Jackson
(chris_jackson) - F
Re: Achilles Heel on 06/26/2006 21:31:16 MDT Print View

Zack, the ASO brace sounds good. A couple of questions about fit: Does it need to be professionally fitted, or is it DIY? Also, do the trail runners need to be a size larger to accomodate the brace?

Zack Karas
(iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - MLife

Locale: Lake Tahoe
ASO brace on 06/27/2006 04:00:31 MDT Print View

No, it would do very little to stop dorsiflexion, but I don't think that you could ever hike in anything that did. It only addresses rolling of the ankle to the outside or inside (depending on how you configure the figure-8 straps). It is to be worn straight out of the box and doesn't require any upsizing of your trail runners. The only thing I would recommend is to wear it around town for a day before hitting the trail just to break it in a bit. Also, I wear two pairs of very thin sock liners while hiking, Fox River X-statics, so this may influence why I don't need to upsize. During winter hikes while wearing thick wool socks my trail runners still feel fine but there is noticeably less room, but no discomfort.

Edited by iwillchopyou@hotmail.com on 06/27/2006 04:01:46 MDT.

Louis-Philippe Loncke
(louphi) - F
Re: heavyweight backpacking on 02/20/2007 09:02:31 MST Print View

I consider myself a medium-lightweight hiker.
(no selfmade gear yet, but expensive lightweight gear, no double gear, no spare clothes)

I did an adventure walk based on Ryan's journey's (based on the calory diet calculation) in Tasmania:
49 kg (over 100 lbs) at the start but i walked for 47 days climbing 19 mountains, covering about 800miles maybe more.

i did not have many sponsors or time to built gear as i prepared everything in 1 month !!!

Report in MArch on www.Louis-Philippe-Loncke.com

(see adventures on site, also click ENGLISH flag for English language)