Forum Index » Gear Lists » Revisiting gear list

Display Avatars Sort By:
Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
Revisiting gear list on 05/15/2010 08:39:40 MDT Print View

I am 55, female, and new to backpacking. Several months ago I submitted my first gear list. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=29896
I have accepted a lot of advice, researched what works for me,made purchases, watched videos, etc.
I have dialed things in a little better now and would like some feedback.
This list represents a 3 day NC New Mexico trip early June, not off trail. All gear is what I presently own.
WORN/CARRIED
bear spray 12*
compass 1.1
maps 0.5
trek poles 6.8(for knees)
lipbalm 0.5
socks 2
shoes 22
nylon shirt 7
pants 10
windshirt 3.5
cap 3
undies 1.5
glove liners 1.5
glasses 0.8
=72.2
ITEMS PACKED
Deuter ACT Zero SL(not ul, but works for my lumbar issues)48
hammock 12.5
bugnet 7.5
tarp 11
TQ quilt 20
UQ 14.5
pad 3
stakes 3
suspension 3
CLOTHES
socks 2
rain jacket 12
rain pants 9
down jacket 6.3
Cap 3 top/bottom 12
conv. mittens 3
buff or bandana 1
KITCHEN
bearbag 3
cookpot 1 Fosters can
bic/mat 0.5
spoon 0.4
stove 1 alc.
cozy 1
cup 0.5 cut down JacknBox
MISC
mini led/car key 1
watch 1
knife 0.9
whistle 0.2
tp/vit I 0.5 (easily accessible, including baggie for used tp)
toiletry ditty 2
FAK 4.5(includes spare glasses and epipen)
trowel 2
Hydration
21Lplatys 2
drinking tube 2
=180.8
CONSUMABLES
food 60 3 day@20oz.
water 68 2L
fuel 5 (incl.bottle)
chlorine 0.5
=133.5
Total wt. 24 lbs if my calculations are correct.
Leigh

Edited by leighb on 05/16/2010 05:19:47 MDT.

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Revisiting gear list on 05/15/2010 14:21:39 MDT Print View

Leigh,
Well done. Similar to what I took on a recent SoCal PCT section hike. A few thoughts for your consideration:
Are the glasses you're taking tinted for sun protection?
Is the cap for sun or warmth? A warm hat is nice at night.
Are you anticipating conditions where you might need the fleece lined pants?
Are you taking a pack liner or cover or other means to protect your sleeping bag and clothes?
Don't forget the weight of any other stuff sacks (ditty bag, food bag, etc)
Are you taking ID, $$ and insurance info?
Does your kitchen include a windscreen?
Consider taking hand sanitizer, sunscreen, whistle(oops-there is a whistle), firestarter and camera.
I think I'd get awfully hungry with only 16 ounces of food per day, even for just a 3 day trip.

Enjoy your hike! Let us know how it goes and please share your post-trip gear review.
-Lance

Edited by Lancem on 05/15/2010 18:49:57 MDT.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

thanks, Lance on 05/15/2010 17:05:56 MDT Print View

Good points. Cap is fleece lined gortex with visor,flaps cover ears and chin and I can sleep in it. I have a buff/bandana for warmer. glasses wt includes clip on sunglasses. I could probably leave behind the fleece lined stretch pants:) Pack liner is a compactor bag. All other bags are factored into weight. ID and insurance are photo copied in FAK. One credit card carried just so it's on me and not stolen from my car. Supposedly my alcohol stove needs no windscreen, but I've yet to challenge that. I have a small piece of ccf pad for insulating my feet in my hammock that could double for one. Sunscreen is in toiletry bag. I usually eat big before hitting the trail, then once I return, but might add a few more ounces just to be safe. Hand sanitizer is one thing that should have made it onto the list :)

Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
Re: thanks, Lance on 05/15/2010 21:59:33 MDT Print View

I'd save 3/4 lb. and leave the bear spray at home, especially in non-grizzly country.

Chris Gray
(ChrisFol) - F

Locale: Denver, Coloado
Re: Revisiting gear list on 05/15/2010 23:53:43 MDT Print View

- A 3oz pad, what pad are you using?
-Bear spray, is this needed?

-Is the therm top needed? You have a nylon shirt, wind jacket, down jacket and rain jacket. Personally I would purchase something like a Capilene 1or3 and nix both the shirt and therm top.

-Do you really wear you thermal bottoms while hiking? Mine belong in the clothing carried list.

-The same applies to the glove liners-- probably belong in the carried list most of the time

-Do you need thermal bottoms and fleece pants for three-seasons?

-Trowel could be nixed-- use a rock or stick.

- Drinking tubes could be nixed. Jus drink directly from the bottle.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Thanks again on 05/16/2010 04:55:58 MDT Print View

Edited list to reflect changes.
Do I need to carry bear spray in the mountains of north central new mexico? I was under the impression there were bears there.Is bear spray only needed for griz? Coming from an area not having bears. Honestly I'd love to lose the 12 oz!!!
The pad is a cut down GG thinlight 1/4" only used for my lower body not insulated by my underquilt.
The thermals I mentioned are Cap 3, also have Cap 1 depending on temps, and do need to be moved to carry list. Guess I'm showing my age by calling it thermals. Nixed the fleece pants. Glove liners for my cold fingers when starting off early in the am. They usually come off quick.
I have considered replacing the trowel with a snow stake per a discussion here but several seem to have nixed it as viable.
The only pack I have found to be comfortable in doesn't make it easy to carry water anywhere other than the inside of the pack. Any suggestions on how to do so would be greatly appreciated. I hate to have to lose the pack every time I want a drink.

Edited by leighb on 05/16/2010 05:29:06 MDT.

Dont Wantto
(longhiker) - F
food weight on 05/16/2010 08:51:43 MDT Print View

my girlfriend gets by on about 1 lb / day .. she usually needs less than 2000 cal/day - on the trail, quite a bit more but it doesnt seem to get much beyond a pound a day. she's about 130 llbs, 5' 9"?

Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
Re: food weight on 05/16/2010 21:00:30 MDT Print View

I have the Montbell trowel-- only 0.7 ounces. Works great and very light.

As to the bear spray-- if you find it reassuring to carry, then that's fine. But, I would consider the risk from black bears to be very, very slight and wouldn't consider carrying bear spray myself. BUT, I probably wouldn't carry bearspray in Grizzly country, either....

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Carrying water outside your pack on 05/16/2010 21:52:30 MDT Print View

I use a gatorade bottle. at the neck, i use a zip tie or wire tie to fasten a cheap carabiner there. I actually use two zip ties to change the angle of the carabiner so its easier to work with one hand. This bottle clips onto the shoulder strip and slides down to my waist. Sounds awkward but once you try it you'll see how convenient. Have a great trip!

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

re: carrying water outside of pack on 05/17/2010 16:04:54 MDT Print View

Thanks Adan, I will give that a try. It's actually what I did with my nalgene bottles on my day pack (before I saw the light, backpacking light that is :)

Rob Lee
(roblee) - M

Locale: Southern High Plains
Re: Thanks again on 05/17/2010 20:55:09 MDT Print View

"The only pack I have found to be comfortable in doesn't make it easy to carry water anywhere other than the inside of the pack. Any suggestions on how to do so would be greatly appreciated. I hate to have to lose the pack every time I want a drink."

I place a 1 or 2 liter platy on the very top of my open pack, run a drinking tube out, close pack, and slip tube through a loop of cord on my shoulder strap. Always handy, I tend to drink more often and hence not get dehydrated. Would never consider nixing the weight of a tube considering the value received.