Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Custom Name/Logo Patch
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Custom Name/Logo Patch on 05/14/2010 14:22:45 MDT Print View

Some stores sell all sorts of embroidery patches for police, military units, etc.

A friend of mine is heading out onto a long thru-hike soon, and they want a custom patch with a "trail name." They are looking for something about 1.5"x3" with a name and logo. An embroidered patch is one idea. Something silk-screened with paint is another idea. What is the easiest way to get one made without breaking the bank?
--B.G.--

James Patsalides
(james@patsalides.com) - MLife

Locale: New England
re: Custom Name/Logo Patch on 05/14/2010 14:39:25 MDT Print View

Check out http://www.1800nametape.com/ - simple name tapes are $1 a piece, more complicated ones maybe $2. No logo, but names on camo or plain colors?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: re: Custom Name/Logo Patch on 05/14/2010 14:56:39 MDT Print View

That looks like a good source for plain name tapes.

I'm going to look for something with a logo.

Iron-on T-shirt transfer paper is easy, but I don't know if it will get good permanent results that are fine-pitched.

--B.G.--

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
How big is the bank? on 05/15/2010 04:23:58 MDT Print View

Set up cost will be the biggest component, but I'd ask at an embroidery place in a local mall. They may be able to use a computer image to set up and sew. Less colours=less expense

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: How big is the bank? on 05/15/2010 10:00:42 MDT Print View

Most military surplus or uniform supply shops will embroider name patches for cheap. I had to have patches made when I was an EMT and did it at a surplus store that catered to security guards, EMTs, etc.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
bulk orders are the norm on 05/15/2010 10:41:12 MDT Print View

If you want a custom patch with a logo most shops want a minimum order of fifty or so. If you just want one or two you're going to have to find a cottage manufacturer or something.

I think this place:

http://www.colorpatch.com/

does small orders, but the patches aren't embroidered- they're printed.

Edited by acrosome on 05/15/2010 10:46:52 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Custom Name/Logo Patch on 05/15/2010 11:06:31 MDT Print View

For cost purposes, I will try a DIY printed transfer. If that doesn't work out, I'll have to pay the price for a real patch.

--B.G.--

tim hower
(jeepcachr) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
I can make patch on 05/15/2010 19:51:23 MDT Print View

I can embroidery you a patch. The problem is digitizing it. What are you looking for?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Custom Name/Logo Patch on 05/15/2010 20:55:13 MDT Print View

I just finished it.

I laid out a design that is about 1" x 3.5" with a black background, red lettering, and an image of about 0.6" x 0.9".

I printed ten copies of that onto one sheet of Avery Dark Fabric Transfers. I cut one transfer copy out and carefully laid it over a black patch. Well, actually, it is not a black patch. The fabric was supposed to be cotton, but the only thick black stuff I had laying around was black grosgrain webbing (which is nylon). The transfer was ironed on, and the heat really melted it into the nylon texture. In fact, the nylon was slightly seared from the heat, which blended the edges of the transfer nicely. I heat-seared the cut edges of the nylon also, just to avoid unravelling. The finished product is ready to sew onto clothing now.

The Avery 3279 package was $10 for five sheets, and I can get 50-100 transfers out of those.

--B.G.--