hillenberg atko
Display Avatars Sort By:
Wayne Burke
(three5s) - F

Locale: Bluegrass
hillenberg atko on 05/13/2010 18:04:47 MDT Print View

Can get one like new, used twice (9.5 out of 10)for $275. 2008 model I think. Is this a good deal. I have been looking for a Hubba HP but this deal has me intrigued. Wanting a early winter tent. Dont know how the Akto can stand up to snow with just 1 pole but, what's your take???

Warren Wilkinson
(icensnow) - M

Locale: New England, USA
Hilleberg Akto on 05/13/2010 19:36:03 MDT Print View

The current price is $420, so price is good providing that the condition is as represented.

The Akto is a four season tent with its "standard" inner tent. Hilleberg just recently introduced an optional 2nd inner tent that is all mesh. The two can be swapped one for the other, depending on season.

The only winter weakness that the Akto has is with static snow loads. If there is no wind and a lot of snow piles up on it, the single pole can be overwhelmed. A designed in option to deal with this situation is to use a 2nd pole, in the same sleeve with the first. This double polling helps, but I can't say if it completely solves the problem?

Good luck whichever you choose.

Wayne Burke
(three5s) - F

Re: Hilleberg Akto on 05/14/2010 16:06:21 MDT Print View

How much snow would be a lot or to much?? I know it would depend on how wet the snow. I was thinking the snow might mash the tent down around the foot section. Other thoughts on this??

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Great price on 05/14/2010 20:28:44 MDT Print View

$275 is a great price for any Hilleberg tent, if in reasonably decent condition.

One other weakness of the Atko, though - it's tough to sit up. Impossible if you are close to my 6-4 height. If you don't have that problem (because you are shorter or don't mind), I'd go for it

Wayne Burke
(three5s) - F

Re: Great price on 05/14/2010 20:34:01 MDT Print View

Sitting up will not be a problem. I'm 5ft 4.