Worthy organization
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Worthy organization on 05/12/2010 22:05:05 MDT Print View

My fellow BPLers -

I justed wanted to give a heads up to everyone who is looking to put their charity dollars to effective use: The Student Conservation Association, now in its 53rd season of placing high school and college-age students "in hands-on conservation opportunities" will receive three dollars in matching funds for every dollar raised through the end of May.

SCA volunteers spend their summers performing a variety of projects, many of them involving trail restoration that serves us hikers and backpackers well.

I know many alumni who attest to the profound change a summer spent as a member of a SCA trail crew made in their lives, my sister among them. I've come across several crews during backpacking trips, working hard to repair trails and foot bridges.

And who can't get behind that? We want young people to experience nature, and for many, this is their first opportunity.

Dirk

Edited by dirk9827 on 05/12/2010 22:07:48 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
SCA on 05/12/2010 22:57:34 MDT Print View

i've been nothing but impressed by the various SCA folks i've run into over the years. a great organization.

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Awesome Dave! on 05/13/2010 00:26:01 MDT Print View

I am glad to hear it! Last July I met an SCA Crew on the PCT in the Desolation Wilderness...they were having a great time, although all looked a bit worn out by the end of the day.

I read that they are getting more applications now than ever before - it might be a reflection of the tepid job market, or perhaps, a renewed interest in the outdoors.

Thanks for the good words.

Dirk