50 - 75 miler early August in the Sierras
Display Avatars Sort By:
sean mccutcheon
(aldosean93)

Locale: East Bay
50 - 75 miler early August in the Sierras on 05/12/2010 18:41:32 MDT Print View

I'm starting to plan a 50-75 mile trip in early August. My son wants to head down to the Southern / Eastern Sierras.
I would like to know if anyone has hiked the Rae Lakes Loop at this time of year and if it's so crowed that it's not worth it? Some other options would be other parts of Sequoia-Kings Canyon, parts of the JMT, Yosemite, or section hike part of the PCT. I'm open to all the advise I can get.

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Rae Lakes Loop on 05/12/2010 19:04:30 MDT Print View

Well its one of the most beautiful spots in the Southern Sierra’s and it also has trails running through it (Rae Lakes Loop trail /JMT / PCT).

So yeah you might see a few people…

If your intent is to avoid people go in Mid October…
I had the loop to myself, didn’t see a soul for 3 days

Edited by FastWalker on 05/13/2010 00:23:22 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Rae Lakes Loop on 05/12/2010 19:38:56 MDT Print View

A fantastic hike! Aug. you will have folks on the trail but it thins out as you leave Cedar Grove and all the day hikers. On the JMT/PCT portion you will see people but really, it is not that bad. Make sure to go to 60 Lakes Basin if you get a chance. Sublime!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Rae Lakes Loop on 05/12/2010 22:57:04 MDT Print View

Yes, I did the Rae Lakes Loop last August. Starting from Roads End, I think the main loop is around 42 miles. You might want to take a short detour off into the Sixty Lakes Basin.

Going from Roads End to Woods Crossing in a day turned out to be kind of a butt-kicker, but that's OK.

The scenery is pretty spectacular. Wildlife, good (black bear and bighorn sheep).

--B.G.--

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

50-75 miler in August in the Sierras on 05/12/2010 23:10:17 MDT Print View

P8130196
Rae Lakes on the JMT-Spectacular is a under statement...

Edited by Creachen on 05/12/2010 23:16:54 MDT.

nathan matthews
(nathanm) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Rae Lakes in August on 05/13/2010 09:20:57 MDT Print View

I did the loop in August a couple years ago. Lots of day hikers on the northern side of the loop close to the trailhead (I assume the southern side was too steep to attract day hikers). Then a decent number hikers again once you hit the JMT. Even so, it was never so crowded as to be unpleasant or to make it hard to find nice campsites.

I also second (third, whatever) the recommendation to detour into Sixty Lakes basin. If I go again, I'll also detour in the other direction from Rae Lakes, and check out Dragon Lake.

Also, as an added perk: when I went, the Roads End ranger station rented Bearikades for something very cheap. I'd planned on taking two bear cans, but my girlfriend and I were able to rent a single expedition which, together with a separate food bag for the first day and some skimping, worked for the whole trip.

sean mccutcheon
(aldosean93)

50-75 miler Rea Lakes / Mineral King on 05/15/2010 08:16:47 MDT Print View

I've put in for my permit to go out either the Bubbs Creak or Paradise trails. For our 3rd option I put in for Mineral King. I,m definitely going to spur off and Head down into the Sixty Lakes Basin. If we end up going out of Mineral King I think we'll head toward Rattle Snake Creek make are way to Five Lakes and head back threw Timber Gap.

sean mccutcheon
(aldosean93)

Wilderness Permit in hand on 05/26/2010 23:06:57 MDT Print View

I just received my wilderness permit to enter at Bubbs Creek on 7/30/2010. It's amazing how pumped up a person gets after getting the ok from work to take time off and then receiving your permit. Now the fun begins route planning, food prep and getting my weight down. I'm planning on staying one night down in Sixty Lake Basin and one at Baxter Lakes.