Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Baby trekker (15m) needs sleep system

Display Avatars Sort By:
nick meynen
(NickMeynen) - F

Locale: Kessel-Lo
Baby trekker (15m) needs sleep system on 05/12/2010 08:54:15 MDT Print View

What sleeping system to use if you do NOT want a 15month old 'baby' to consider the whole room as the play yard for the night? We need a UL solution and NOT one of those 5 kg foldable babybeds which people with cars use. It needs to be carried around for a few weeks...

Edit

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Baby trekker (15m) needs sleep system on 05/12/2010 09:10:20 MDT Print View

If you are looking for a sleep systems (extendable bags) Tim@enLightenedEquipment.com has done a couple.

Look Here.

If not, then a little more explanation is needed.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Baby trekker (15m) needs sleep system on 05/12/2010 10:50:39 MDT Print View

Do you need a sleeping bag or are you looking for a solution to a crib of sorts?

By fold able baby beds I am going to hedge you are referring to what in the US we call a Pack n' Play - a fold able play yard/crib.

You can find small travel beds for babies but at 15 months these are pushing it for fitting them. They are small and light and run around $40 US.

At 15 months though.....

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Re: Baby trekker (15m) needs sleep system on 05/12/2010 11:15:37 MDT Print View

Our kids never slept in a crib. For hotel travel they would share a bed with us. Camping I used a double top bag shared with the kid.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Baby trekker (15m) needs sleep system on 05/12/2010 12:45:06 MDT Print View

Not to knock co-sleeping but it is considered to be safer to not do that with any baby or young child. I co-slept with my first son for a few weeks but the issue is with men who are heavy sleepers - they can roll over on the infant/child. I wouldn't recommend a 15 month old sleeping on a bed in a hotel either - the mattress isn't firm enough, they don't need heavy blankets and worse they can roll off and be hurt very easily.

nick meynen
(NickMeynen) - F

clarification on the 'sleeping system' for a 15m old baby: UL portable babybed needed! on 05/12/2010 13:48:40 MDT Print View

Thanks for the replies. For clarification: We are not just looking for a sleeping bag but for a small and UL portable babybed or anything else you can use to put her on the ground in the cabin of a mountain hut. Sleeping with her in the bed is no option. We camped with her for weeks when she was 3 months, but that was easy: a foam matress her size, a fleece around her and the matress and done. Now she can walk and climb on our bed so we will need something else I guess, but we will have to carry it for weeks on an indepedent hiking trip so an UL and tiny portable babybed would be great. If that exists ...

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Baby tent on 05/12/2010 14:03:23 MDT Print View

What about using some foam and one of those tiny kids tents? They usually have them in the toy section for 20 bucks. They dont weight much and the one that I've seen had alot of mesh on top.

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Play-Tents-Too-Tent/dp/B00000IURZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1273694547&sr=1-2

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Baby tent on 05/12/2010 14:57:44 MDT Print View

Yep! And also look at Target.com for ideas....Eddie Bauer Infant Travel Bed runs for $30. And it is small and light.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Baby trekker (15m) needs sleep system on 05/15/2010 13:59:54 MDT Print View

Ah, I note that Flora is growing up! Less portable, far more mobile!

We don't have mountain huts in the US (at least not in the western US) so don't have this problem--we just use the tent. Perhaps something like this--http://www.rei.com/product/756702? Just don't tell anyone (especially the grandparents) that it was designed for a dog!

nick meynen
(NickMeynen) - F

to Mary on 05/16/2010 13:45:28 MDT Print View

Thanks Mary! yep, Flora is getting mobile! She's already walking, doing stairs and climbing on our bed now so we are desperate to keep her 'locked' at night. Dog tent, great idea! Thanks. Still more then 1kg but maybe lighter models will exist. By the way .. how on earth do you camp with a 15m old very mobile 'baby'?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: clarification on the 'sleeping system' for a 15m old baby: UL portable babybed needed! on 05/16/2010 14:52:42 MDT Print View

Hi Nick

How about a small fully-enclosed hammock made of UNcoated fabric and with a zip closure? Zip handle on outside only.

Cheers

Elena Lee
(lenchik101) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)
baby bjorn on 05/27/2010 12:52:49 MDT Print View

Check out baby bjorn travel crib light

http://www.babybjorn.com/American/products/Mobility/BABYBJORN-Travel-Crib-Light/