Display Avatars Sort By:
Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
Windscreen Dynamics and Design on 06/07/2006 08:44:58 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Stove Windscreen Dynamics and Design Part I Wind Effects on Stove Performance
and
Stove Windscreen Dynamics and Design Part II Practical Applications for the Field

Edited by cmcrooker on 06/14/2006 09:32:40 MDT.

John Reed
(johnwmreed) - F

Locale: Sierras
What about windscreens mounted ABOVE canister? on 06/07/2006 09:37:17 MDT Print View

I find great success with my modified MSR Aluminum windscreen sitting on a thin aluminum pie plate base mounted ABOVE the canister. This prevents overheating the canister and possibly causing an explosion. There are holes in the pie plate (hole for the stove head to pass through as well as slits for the pot legs) to allow air flow. To get it work best you need to have about a 1/4 inch space between the wind screen and the pot. A nice analytical explanation on the best configuration for this setup would be nice.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: What about windscreens mounted ABOVE canister? on 06/09/2006 11:04:23 MDT Print View

Joshua Mitchell made a windscreen for a cannister stove from a Snow Peak Ti bowl which was mentioned in the forums here. He did a nice bit of backyard machine work too.

Here is the link to his photos: http://homepage.mac.com/jdmitch/PhotoAlbum3.html

Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Pocket Rocket windscreen mounted above the canister on 06/11/2006 12:46:50 MDT Print View

I've been working on a Pocket Rocket windscreen like the one Ryan Jordan shows for the Gigapower in his article.

Homemade Canister Stove Windscreen

I've been able to make very functional windscreens and bases using his basic template, but here's the rub: I can't figure out how to store the dang thing. I use a fairly narrow pot (3 7/8" diameter), and it's narrower than the functional diameter of the PR pot support by an inch or so. Thus, the windscreen base must be a bit larger than my pot. Ideally, my pot could nest inside the base when stored, but the way it is now, I have this crinkly foil piece with nowhere safe to go. Any ideas? Pictures would be awesome if anyone has come up with a good solution.

By the way, the picture in the new windscreen article shows a full-length windscreen, which I'd prefer not to use for the reason stated in the article - I like to store my windscreen rolled in my pot.

Thanks,
Ben

Joe Aulwes
(aalpinist) - F
RE: Pocket Rocket windscreen mounted above the canister on 06/14/2006 13:16:14 MDT Print View

I made a windscreen for my Pocket Rocket, I cut up the windscreen from my whisperlight. When I'm not using it I fold it up and it fits in the concave space under the canister.

I'll post some photos soon.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
windscreen caveat on 06/14/2006 16:08:33 MDT Print View

Round off the corners of your metal windscreen so it doesn't accidentally cut through the storage sack and/or your pack itself. Yes, I know you packed it carefully, but remember what the airlines tell you.....

"Be careful when opening the overhead bins as some objects may have shifted in flight."

Wandering Bob

Joy Menze
(catamountain) - M
polyester film on 06/14/2006 21:09:10 MDT Print View

The heat resistance of the oven bags indicate they are a polyester film. Another polyester film is those thin emergency blankets. The aluminimize film will help reflect heat.

Another use for the KiteScreen is to use it a radiant wall when using using a small wood fire for heat - if no natural form, like a boulder, is present.

Al Shaver
(Al_T.Tude) - F - M

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast
Multi-Use Gear on 06/15/2006 13:13:47 MDT Print View

Keep in mind much of your gear that serves other purposes can also double as an effective windscreen. To supplement my wind screen, on the upwind side of my stove you will often find my pack, a rock(s), snow wall, water bottle and of course, my body.

james clark
(jwfclark)

Locale: Southern California
Windscreen dynamics-Part ll on 06/15/2006 21:31:47 MDT Print View

I am a longtime Esbit user. When solo I use an Evernew .9 liter pot. I also now utilize a BPL Ti windscreen with "inverted V" cuts 3/4 inch high and one inch wide at their base. I join the foil edges with four paperclips, two at the top and two at the bottom.

When the winds increase, I enclose the inner windscreen with a second BPL Ti windscreen, again held together with paperclips. There is then about an inch of space between the two windscreens which seems to "calm" most winds and allow me to enjoy a hot dinner.

I almost always burn two Esbit tabs at a time, laying them on their sides next to each other. Effective Burn time avarages about 22 minutes.

I guess that this is just another way to acknowledge that a second windscreen can be a real solution to those times when the wind can be a problem.

Jim Clark..............

Tony Burnett
(tlbj6142) - F

Locale: OH--IO
Sleeping pad/pack on 06/16/2006 09:20:49 MDT Print View

I have (if needed) used my pad and/or pack to provide some sort of wind break around my wind-screened esbit, or alcohol, stoves. A couple of rocks/logs and your poles will easily hold your pad in place. I typically place it more than a 1' from the stove's windscreen.

Jeremy Greene
(tippymcstagger) - F

Locale: North Texas
non-silicone-impregnated nylon on 04/15/2008 16:34:39 MDT Print View

Would a un-treated textile be any less effective? This would expand options and include the rag bins of more readers.