Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Temps this weekend GSMNP

Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - M

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Temps this weekend GSMNP on 05/10/2010 09:25:40 MDT Print View

doing the lakeshore trail this weekend. temps look very mild as lows seem to be in the low 50's thursday-sunday. how volitile is temp around that area (no altitude really)? I'm thinking i want to save some weight and bring my 20 oz lafuma Extreme 600 over my SD Nitro Long (28oz). I will be brining shorts, cap 3 bottoms, cap1 ls shirt, patagonia nano, and dri ducks suit reguardless of which bag i take. The lafuma keeps me warm down to 50, but then it gets real cold real fast. thoughts on lafuma vs. nitro? also going to thunderstorm every day, so liked the synthetic lafuma for that too...Thanks much.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Temps this weekend GSMNP on 05/10/2010 13:54:27 MDT Print View

It looks like it should be around 55* at those elevations. Thats a nice trail, have fun!

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3ypkqbq

Jeffrey Kuchera
(frankenfeet)

Locale: Great Lakes
Checking GSMNP weather. on 05/10/2010 23:07:52 MDT Print View

Check the weather and everything else about GSMNP here

Weather is not very volatile on the lakeshore trail. That trail runs at a lower elevation. The trail tops out at around 2300' The more volatile weather situations tend to occur at the higher elevations in GSMNP. The more forgiving weather is found in the valleys down low as a rule of thumb.

Edited by frankenfeet on 05/10/2010 23:14:43 MDT.