Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB: 2nd Hand Down Bag for Friend

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
WTB: 2nd Hand Down Bag for Friend * BAG FOUND!!! on 05/07/2010 11:45:15 MDT Print View

Looking to pick up a 2nd hand/retired down bag in fair condition for a good friend. He'll be heading into the Gila Wilderness for a few days next weekend with an old 50F synthetic bag that literally weighs as much as my summer gear list minus consumables. His sleeping bag is killing his weight for the trip and I'm a little concerned his bag isn't even up to task for keeping him warm. He does have a 0F bag but I won't even disclose the weight of that bag cause it's near blasphemy to list such numbers on BPL :)

Does anyone have a half-way decent bag they'd be willing to part with for around $100 or so? This is a joint effort my brother in-law and I are looking to do to make his first backpacking trip in a long time a good one.

Josh is about 6' and probably about 190 lbs. so a regular to long size bag would be best.

Expected temps: 25-45F @ night.

Thanks for the help. If you know of any decent deals shoot em' my way.

PM me or shoot me emails quicker at:

imeugeneius@hotmail.com

*** BAG FOUND!!! THANKS EVERYONE.

Edited by Eugeneius on 05/08/2010 19:19:20 MDT.

steve whelehon
(hwy395lvr) - F

Locale: So.Cal.
down bag on 05/07/2010 18:46:54 MDT Print View

Email sent

Mike Klinefelter
(mjkline)

Locale: Southern California
REI subkilo on 05/07/2010 19:05:14 MDT Print View

REI has their Subkilo on sale for $140 which seems like a good deal for a sub 2 lb bag (in reg size 29 oz). Here's the link:

http://www.rei.com/product/780903

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
REI Sahara on 05/07/2010 20:05:12 MDT Print View

don't look too bad for $109 at 30F or 25F for the women's long, and under 2 1/2lb.

The Subkilo should be the better bag, but maybe over your budget.

James Naphas
(naphas13) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Re: REI subkilo on 05/07/2010 21:42:19 MDT Print View

The friend sounds a little big for a sub-kilo; I think the shoulder width on that bag is only 57". Too tight for me, in any case, and I'm 5'10" and 195. If he's a back sleeper it might work.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"WTB: 2nd Hand Down Bag for Friend" on 05/07/2010 21:57:01 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the PM's and email offers. I just finished reading through them and responded to a couple.

The Sub-Kilo deal going on @ REI.com/outlet was our first thought, but he is a tad over 6' and the regular SubKilo is just too slim for him. The (Long) Sub-Kilo is a little out of our joint budget for picking up a sleeping bag on a whim for him right now. He'll likely want to make that investment himself, for now we're just looking for something that'll get him through for a while but not weight him down either.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
"WTB: 2nd Hand Down Bag for Friend" on 05/07/2010 22:07:31 MDT Print View

Could you rent a bag for this trip from REI?

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: 2d Hand Down Bag for Friend on 05/07/2010 22:20:54 MDT Print View

Sierra Trading Post has this SD Tomichi. 2 lbs 5 oz isn't lite (especially on this site) but at 89.00 it would do until he had more experience and could choose an UL option.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/319,1546F_Sierra-Designs-35-F-Tomichi-Sleeping-Bag-600-Fill-Power-Down-Mummy.html

Edit: or this at campmor: Kelty Lightyear Long, $109.98

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43129

Edited by saparisor on 05/07/2010 22:25:16 MDT.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: RE: RE: "What is YOUR luxury item" on 05/07/2010 22:31:48 MDT Print View

HAhahaha... I'm only laughing because before I discovered BPL I had... Still have... a 30* Coleman that weighs 4 lbs!!! I'm embarrassed to admit I even thought about buying that monstrosity! I just keep it for chilly evenings on the couch now.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"WTB: 2nd Hand Down Bag for Friend" on 05/07/2010 22:32:27 MDT Print View

REI rental is a no go, the nearest REI is in Albuquerque, 320+ miles from Las Cruces.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"WTB: 2nd Hand Down Bag for Friend" on 05/07/2010 22:39:51 MDT Print View

Kendall,

That is funny, I'm sure we all have a bag that we're holding onto for sentimentality and a memento of heavier times. I have a 15F Kelty Mistral that weighs near a ton, I tried to pawn it off at no avail here not too long ago on Gear Swap, it'll make a great car camping/ bonfire/ sleep out in the backyard with the kids bag. I think that bag weighs around 6 lbs.

Edited by Eugeneius on 05/07/2010 22:40:45 MDT.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
WTB: 2nd Hand Down Bag for Friend on 05/08/2010 10:10:14 MDT Print View

See if Luxurylite still has their overfilled bags on closeout for $99. I've been really happy with my underfilled bag from them.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"WTB: 2nd Hand Down Bag for Friend" on 05/08/2010 10:28:32 MDT Print View

Thanks Joe for the heads up.

I'm waiting to hear back from a member on a REI Kilo. Those Luxury lite overfilled bags are a steal @ $99! What's the fill rating? Do they loft well? Cool design, would make a great bag for heavier family trips and car camping.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Lost Ranger, long on 05/08/2010 10:49:08 MDT Print View

PM sent

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

WTB: 2nd Hand Down Bag for Friend on 05/08/2010 14:44:52 MDT Print View

Mine lofts well. Never took it out in the cold to see how it did. I've got one that is underfilled, and it does great into the 30s. I've got one that was underfilled that I added down to the empty chambers, and it's almost too hot in the lower 20s. Easy to vent though.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"WTB: 2nd Hand Down Bag for Friend" on 05/08/2010 19:23:33 MDT Print View

Bag found! Thanks for all the offers and online deal tips. Ben and I managed to pick up a Marmot Never Winter bag for an excellent price from BPL member Jim Wyrwicki, thanks Jim for helping us help someone else out! You gotta love the cycle of BPL love. Cheers.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

WTB: 2nd Hand Down Bag for Friend on 05/08/2010 21:53:40 MDT Print View

Good deal. I was just out in the garage and saw a bag I had forgotten. Was gonna make you a deal.