Forum Index » Chaff » Pat's Backcountry Beer

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Pat's Backcountry Beer on 05/05/2010 20:15:07 MDT Print View

Is anyone else following their development? They've taken so long in developing their products that at first I thought it was a practical joke, but it looks to be for real.

I hope their system is light. I hope that beer tastes good.

Nate Powell
(powell1nj) - F

Locale: North Carolina
Wow on 05/05/2010 20:28:02 MDT Print View

I hadn't heard of this until now. I agree with you Travis... I hope it's tasty. So much for high-mileage days... :)

Jeffrey Kuchera
(frankenfeet)

Locale: Great Lakes
I have dreamed of this. on 05/05/2010 23:27:04 MDT Print View

Lighweight beer. At last. Anybody dehydrate a whole pizza yet?

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Pat's Backcountry Beer on 05/05/2010 23:45:06 MDT Print View

Now all we need is some dehydrated water to reconstitute it with.

But, I knew there would be a catch.

From the FAQ

"We won’t be able to sell the beer concentrate online"

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Pat's Backcountry Beer on 05/06/2010 04:41:42 MDT Print View

"We won’t be able to sell the beer concentrate online"

Awwwwww, really? I missed that! WTF?

Edit: Is it because its alcoholic? That's my guess.

Edited by T.L. on 05/06/2010 04:43:11 MDT.

Nick Lagos
(nicklagos)

Locale: South Australia
beer o clock on 05/06/2010 05:31:26 MDT Print View

hey what the ..?

if this works i am ditching light weight and carrying a portable bar...

at least one bar stool....

or maybe a light weight stein....

maybe just extra salted peanuts

cheers to them if they get it happening

nick

Justin Carter
(orangebananas) - F

Locale: San Francisco East Bay
Can't wait on 05/08/2010 13:36:00 MDT Print View

I'm really looking forward to this.

Frank Steele
(knarfster) - F

Locale: Arizona
Soda/ on 05/19/2010 11:53:16 MDT Print View

Has anyone at least tried their soda? Do they even really make products and sell them?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Soda/ on 05/19/2010 16:05:40 MDT Print View

Frank, when I stumbled upon their website several months ago, I thought it was a spoof. But the website has evolved over time as they "get closer to production." I don't think they have anything for sale yet, but we're all hoping for it!

Frank Steele
(knarfster) - F

Locale: Arizona
Me Too! on 05/19/2010 23:50:56 MDT Print View

Amen, me too! Dehydrated beer sounds like a show stopper!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

UPDATE: Pat's Backcountry Beer on 12/19/2011 22:20:45 MST Print View

I've been watching this for a while. They're moving along in their progress. Check out the video!

http://www.patsbcb.com/faq/video-see-how-it-works.html

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Hey is that a Cuben fiber carbonator?! on 12/21/2011 08:55:12 MST Print View

Well, although I may be reluctant to carry the beast, the opportunity to have an ice-cold Dr. Pepper (or three) using water from a High Sierra source I'm sitting next to sure sounds cool. Pale Ale, sure that too!

Granola Cola? Sounds interesting, but I can buy Coke and other sucrose-laden syrups at the office supply shop... Need me one of them ti-carbonators.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Pat's BCB on 12/27/2011 20:39:08 MST Print View

I think this is really cool stuff. I sure hope Pat can secure the funding to get his backcountry beer into production. The no online sales is going to hurt though.

Jeff Hollis
(hyperslug) - MLife
Pat's Backcountry Beer at Outdoor Retailer on 08/13/2012 13:55:45 MDT Print View

I stopped by thier booth when I was at OR and talked to them about thier progress. They said the beer will be out in spring 13,currently only selling soda. It is not dehydrated, the beer or soft drink is in the form of a concentrate about GU size. A powder is used which creates the carbonation. The special bottle used to make it has a little chamber that holds the used up cabonation powder.

The special bottle looks heavy to me as in lexan nagene heavy and I think there has to be a work around to not have to use it. I am thinking of a basic bottle and put the powder in a teabag type wrapping but I didn't play with it to know if that would work. I think there are pills that add carbonation so maybe you can just use those instead.

They didn't have any beer samples to try but they swear you can't tell the difference. I think distribution will be a nightmare with all the different state liquor laws but I hope I can score some in the future.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Backcountry Beer on 08/13/2012 14:07:31 MDT Print View

Has anybody just thought of putting beer in a soft package instead of a can or bottle?
You know , like boxed wine. Not as light as dehydrated beer but still a lot lighter.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Lighter container? on 08/13/2012 15:34:22 MDT Print View

You can transfer beer into another air tight container and it will last for 2-3 days. Before there were good beers available in cans, we'd pour them into sixteen oz supermarket water bottles when going on hut trips and it worked fine. But those bottles weigh .45 oz which is the same as an empty beer can. The can is a pretty small portion of the weight so I don't think you'd gain much looking for a lighter container. The good beers in the lined cans have been a great addition to weekend backpacking. For me, at least.