Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Quilt - first project, need advice!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ankar Sheng
(Whiskyjack) - MLife

Locale: The Canadian Shield
Quilt - first project, need advice! on 05/05/2010 12:47:28 MDT Print View

I'd like to make a quilt similar to the one in the thru-hiker tutorial http://thru-hiker.com/projects/down_quilt.php

I'm guessing there's cheaper sources for materials though, and if you guys could give me some leads that'd be a huge help.

For 800fp down i'm looking at $6.50/oz at http://theperfecttrees.com/products.html#down

As for fabric I'm not 100% sure what'd be best for me. I need something breathable, so cuben fiber is out. I hear tyvek sews poorly and the stitching rips out, I'd trade some weight for durability in this case. So what options are left, Silnylon and proprietary fabrics like the "momentum .9" that thru-hiker sells?

peter kvamme
(karacolor) - F

Locale: midwest
1.1 oz ripstop on 05/05/2010 14:01:02 MDT Print View

Silnylon is not breathable.
Regular 1.1 oz nylon ripstop is definitely the way to go for a cheap, breathable quilt.
Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics is a good supplier for this, as well as for anything else you would need... except for down (as far as I know).
http://owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/Ripstop.asp#Nylon%20Ripstop:%20Coated

Edited by karacolor on 05/05/2010 14:02:45 MDT.

Ankar Sheng
(Whiskyjack) - MLife

Locale: The Canadian Shield
Seconds on 05/05/2010 16:28:51 MDT Print View

I was thinking ripstop, typing silnilon :S

What's the actual difference between firsts and seconds when it comes to these products? Theres quite a gap in the prices.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Seconds on 05/05/2010 18:36:31 MDT Print View

Most of the 1.1oz ripstop seconds I've seen are cosmetic seconds only.

i.e. a couple colored lines running down one section of fabric, or a discolored area.

Just make sure it's downproof.

Ron Bell
(mountainlaureldesigns) - F - M

Locale: USA
Re: Re: Seconds on 05/05/2010 18:45:15 MDT Print View

Hi Ankar,

I would suggest going with the quality material from the place you got the info -thru-hiker.com

That way you are assured of downproof quality material that will last a long time and preform well in the field- a nice reward (and peace of mind) for the many hours you'll spend creating your personalized gear.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Re: Seconds on 05/06/2010 08:13:25 MDT Print View

owfinc.com also sells .9oz ripstop, similar to momentum 90. But the best price for a down quilt is usually the thru-hiker kit.

-Tim

will samsky
(wsamsky) - F

Locale: Sunny Arizona
thru hiker on 05/06/2010 13:33:20 MDT Print View

+1 to tim, i shopped around a bit and thru hiker was the cheapest for the amount of fabric you get. If order from two places youd have to pay shipping twice and it would most likely end up being more expensive. I was so impressed at the comfort of m90 it was worth the 30 dollar upgrade IMHO.