Added gaiters to too long rain pants, sorta
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason L
(Jason_Loose_Arrow) - F

Locale: Yosemite
Added gaiters to too long rain pants, sorta on 05/02/2010 11:14:34 MDT Print View

Hello all,
A few years ago I bought a great pair of Moonstone pants, but they were a couple of inches too long. Okay, maybe four. I was really happy with the pants, but I couldn't figure out how to make them a little shorter. Last summer, I tried a quick mod to add gaiters, sorta.pants1pants2

The bottom of the legs have shock cords and the legs zip form the top to the bottom, so I thought this would work well. It has. I only wish I had not been so capricious and done the job better. But, I will probably rework it later this summer by sewing on the loops of cord. I'll also remove the cord locks and just knot the cord on the loop.

I'm really pleased with how they came out. They are very functional and fit much better. They are still long enough not to ride up while doing a good job at keeping snow and mud out of my boots.
-Jason

Edited by Jason_Loose_Arrow on 05/02/2010 11:26:34 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
GaitorPants on 05/02/2010 12:51:09 MDT Print View

Elegantly simple! Adding a loop for the anchored side of the instep strap would be good, but you can do that if/when the strap wears out. You can just use the unworn portion of the one you have already sewn in place.

As to the quality of your work, a good craftsman always wants to improve on the job. Live and learn!

Jason L
(Jason_Loose_Arrow) - F

Locale: Yosemite
Re: GaitorPants on 05/03/2010 00:36:07 MDT Print View

Thanks for the feedback, Dale