Theif's Grrr
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Theft on 05/03/2010 11:25:50 MDT Print View

You should rig your house too -- burn it down at the first sign of forced door or window entry. :)

stefan hoffman
(puckem) - F

Locale: between trees
Theft on 05/03/2010 12:43:23 MDT Print View

I get that its not just about the gear....although for me replacing my bike was impossible. Having something stolen is a lot more personal that i expected it to be. It takes a lot for me to lose sleep, and in the weeks following my bike being stolen, i was kept awake by the thought of it being painted lime green, fixed with a trendy little handlebar with white bartape, and sold in a variety shop for 80 dollars. I went to countless bike shops looking for it, dreaming of the HORRIBLE things i would do to whoever had my baby. But in the end, i figure that if i dont like how people treat one another, the only thing i can really do is make a point of treating people well.....and handcuff myself to my bike 24/7.
Boonies, lol, i live in a town of 85 people..."trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot" territory. No theft though.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Re: Theft on 05/03/2010 15:40:09 MDT Print View

Not that I condone this type of stuff, but when I was in high school, a friend of mine had a crazy stereo system in his civic. He ended up bolting the "box" to the trunk floor and mounting razor blades under the handles on the side...wouldn't want to try lifting that up :)

C4 would work too though.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Theft on 05/03/2010 16:12:01 MDT Print View

holy cow Steven. I had a guy who worked personal security down in Mexico tell me once that because of how bad the drug cartel/kidnapping problem is down there, that people install what he described as "flame throwers" on their car-doors that shoot upwards, so if and when someone gets too close to the car, it turns into a James Bond movie. No idea about the validity the guy's story, but after hearing about your buddy, anything is possible

Edit* DUDES! It's totally real!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

Juston, maybe just get this? same results and you get to keep your car. :)

Edited by Konrad1013 on 05/03/2010 16:46:44 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Theif's Grrr on 05/03/2010 18:30:51 MDT Print View

Mark
About 20 years ago my place was broken into. Insurance sort of covered the loss but not fully.
One of the items stolen was a 6x7 camera (folding Plaubel Makina) that it had taken me a long time to find but would have been almost useless to most.
Same for my Zeiss 10x40 . Well over $2k in the shops here, about $200 at the pub ...
That robbery however lead me to move and buy the house I am in, best investment ever for me. So maybe something good comes out for you too.
Franco
BTW, turns out that the guy that robbed me also did dozens of others in the area but as he was a Police informer ended up not being prosecuted for them...
Kind of strange to see his pixellated face and a 2 page article in the glossy mag with the Sunday paper a few months later.But he got done for brawling outside a pub (!)

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE:"Theif's Grrr" on 05/21/2010 22:32:43 MDT Print View

Sorry to hear about that, Mark. You don't deserve that. I hate being robbed. It's such a violation.