Theif's Grrr
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Theif's Grrr on 05/02/2010 02:43:27 MDT Print View

Ok we were broken into on the weekend and not only did they steal my Wii they also stole one of my packs to take my gear away with, Damn theifs......

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Re: Theif's Grrr on 05/02/2010 02:44:19 MDT Print View

Oh and it was an Osprey!

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Re: Theif's Grrr on 05/02/2010 02:50:04 MDT Print View

They are scum.

I had my full pack lifted from a coach hold a few years ago. Fortunately, they couldn't work out how to open it so they threw it off a bridge into the river. It was pulled out a hundred yards downstream by a fisherman and handed in to the police station, where I picked it up the next day. - Lucky or what?

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Theif's Grrr on 05/02/2010 02:54:30 MDT Print View

Now thats good luck, unfortunately I dont think the same will happen for me

Nick Lagos
(nicklagos)

Locale: South Australia
converted? on 05/02/2010 04:52:07 MDT Print View

hey mark

sorry to hear about that - mate you should do the rounds of the local pawn brokers as something like a pack may get "converted" - i have a friend who found a stolen item at t a pawn broker

good luck

nick

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Theif's Grrr on 05/02/2010 06:34:35 MDT Print View

Mark,

My best to you.....hope the authorities catch 'em soon.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Re: Re: Theif's Grrr on 05/02/2010 06:36:29 MDT Print View

Unfortunately I think all chances of catching them are gone, the forensics team were not able to lift any finger prints that were of use, ah well, there are people worse off..

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Theif's Grrr on 05/02/2010 11:02:27 MDT Print View

Damn thieves indeed. Sorry it happened to you, Mark.

Time for NEW gear!!!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Thieves Grrr on 05/02/2010 14:22:25 MDT Print View

Next time, leave your pack with a Bear Spray booby trap. That will teach them a lesson.

--B.G.--

Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Thieves Grrr on 05/02/2010 21:58:55 MDT Print View

Doesn't it just pi** you off?! My husband's Dana Design backpack was stolen when our storage was broken into. Fortunately, my Dana Design is Purple, so they left it. (:

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
Grrr on 05/02/2010 22:03:01 MDT Print View

I am sorry for your loss. Especially since I am in the market for an Osprey. I've also been robbed a couple of times in the long ago past and I remember how I felt.
I have since embraced technology and have 4 video cameras and a few battery-operated cameras in place. If I get robbed again, at least I'll have a clue who did it.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Theif's Grrr on 05/02/2010 22:17:38 MDT Print View

The worst part is that to most people that stuff would be of little value. Anyway I would have a look around the nearest Cash Converter in a few days...
Franco

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
stolen goods on 05/03/2010 00:41:31 MDT Print View

sorry for your loss Mark! I've only had one real instance of theft. A couple years ago I had a gps unit in my car, and left it suction cupped to my windshield. I had only had it for about 2 weeks, and didn't realize that this was an absolute no no. Apparently a couple of crackheads smashed my rear passenger window with a brick, and lifted it, along with a blackberry. A homeless guy saw the whole thing, and then asked me for money because of his tip :/

Made me really aware of just how easy it is to break into cars, and how meaningless a car -alarm is in a smash and grab situation like mine. These days, I leave nothing in plain view, not even cigarette lighter charging cables etc. This holds especially true for trail heads. Electronics and valuables go in the trunk, not in the glovebox. Sometimes I'll even leave a note on my dashboard saying that i've cleaned out the entire car, and it won't be worth their time to look.

Another time, I had a friend who just purchased a pack from REI. She left it in her trunk, but she drove a Honda CRV sport utility vehicle, where everything in the back trunk area is visible. They broke into her car just to steal her back pack. THere was nothing in the backpack, and they didn't touch anything else in the car. And I thought I had a bad gear addiction.

But seriously, don't leave anything in the car when you go hiking...thieves know that you'll be away for hours. Now these days, I see people who still leave their suction cradle for their gps mounted on their windshield...this to me is just as bad as leaving the whole unit there. Here in Boston, thieves will even look for a slight suctioncup ring print to figure out if you have a gps unit stashed in the car. I keep a bandana to wipe this away everytime now. In the end, being the victim of theft can be pretty expensive, and its def worth the few extra mins of time to make sure everything is hidden. Not only are you losing the value of your goods, but chances are you have to replace a shattered window, or broken door as well.

Edited by Konrad1013 on 05/03/2010 00:48:51 MDT.

stefan hoffman
(puckem) - F

Locale: between trees
"theifs Grrr" on 05/03/2010 06:47:14 MDT Print View

Until Dec 09, i had never had aything stolen from me. I have never lived anywhere where i even felt the need to take the key out of the ignition, let alone lock my car. This Dec i went to LA and got myself a sweet new fixie/track bike (Felt TK3) to cruise around while i was there and to train cadence on later. I was so stoked the night i got the bike, i actually parked it right by my bed so it would be the first thing i saw in the morning. The next day i went for a cruise downtown to check out the city. I kept the bike either under my bum or in my hand the whole time......until i went into a little store to get a water. I had the bike in my hand all the way to the counter, then i leaned it on the counter 2 feet away so i could pay the clerk. Some dude walked behind me, snagged the bike, ran out the front door and directly into the side door of a van. I caught the van on foot a block away and wrecked the passengers face while hanging on the door of the moving van. But one quick left and i ended up with road rash that im sure was worse than his face. Dec 25th, 2009, merry F'in christmas...LA sucks.

stefan hoffman
(puckem) - F

Locale: between trees
Theft on 05/03/2010 06:53:21 MDT Print View

I have spent a lot of time trying to think of a way to incorporate some kind of gps unit in a bike or other expensive piece of gear. One that could be tracked at any time, or at least send out a signal every once in a while. The issues would be the power source and concealing the device. There has gotta be a way. Anybody heard of something like that? Got any brilliant ideas i can patent :)?

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Re: Theft on 05/03/2010 06:58:19 MDT Print View

I think for me, and certainly my wife and kids, the issue here is not what was stolen, I mean that can be replaced. Why else do we have insurance? The issue is that someone came into our house, uninvited, went through our personal belongings and took what appealed to them with no thought of the value, monetary or otherwise to us.

Yeh Im annoyed at gear that was taken and the nerve to even use my pack to take it in, we will get over that, but having someone in your house, now there another issue.

We have always felt safe and never relied on security. For my family to feel safe now it is going to cost me thousands to secure the home, thats the real shame to it all.

Thanks for all the comments.

Cheers

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Re: Theft on 05/03/2010 07:43:41 MDT Print View

Mark, it's an invasion of privacy, and a violation of the sanctity o your family's living space.

The fact that the scroat who did this doesn't care or understand is a sure indicator that although he has your gear, he is the poorer man.

All the best to you.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Theif's Grrr on 05/03/2010 09:28:42 MDT Print View

Ugh, that happened to someone I know as well - and who posts here. They ransacked their house and took their daypack to haul the loot. The crooks were on foot - they were seen fleeing during the day hours by neighbors.

Feel for you, that really sucks.

An alarm system on a house isn't pricey (a couple hundred a year) and can lower your house insurance if you are a homeowner......and they can help be a deterrent.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: Re: Theft on 05/03/2010 10:52:36 MDT Print View

+1 to "...we will get over that, but having someone in your house, now there another issue"
and "it's an invasion of privacy, and a violation of the sanctity o your family's living space."

That was the part that bothered me the most as well. THe whole drive back (which was annoying to drive on the freeway when your back window is busted out) the only thought was "a very bad man was in this car"...it felt very uncomfortable to say the least. But it could have always been worse, and you live and you learn.

And Stefan, its not so much that LA sucks (haha I got my GPS stolen in downtown LA) but its that any major metropolitan city will have theft...its the cost we pay to not live in the Boonies. You see the same stuff in NYC, or in Boston. I;ve seen a guy with all 4 tires stolen, right in front of Boston College! IIf that wasn't egregious enough, they didnt even use 4 cinder blocks to hoist the car...they used 2, right in between the tires on each side. Needless to say, they didn't balance it right, and the guys car was tipped over like a seesaw, front end all smashed.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Theft on 05/03/2010 10:59:46 MDT Print View

I hate thieves. More than anything. I have insurance, but that's not the point. I want to rig my car to explode upon having a window broken. Where can I buy C4?