Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Failed seam seal
Display Avatars Sort By:
Say Raow
(lordrasov) - M
Failed seam seal on 04/30/2010 23:54:47 MDT Print View

I just failed my first attempt at seam sealing. I thought I knew what I was doing after i spend a while reading on the forums and watching videos.

I went to the hardware store and picked up some odourless paint thinner, and began mixing it with the silnet slowly.

I had a good mixture that had the consistency of a light syrup, so I started applying it to my new duomid.

After applying about 2 feet on one seam, I noticed the solution had hardened and turned into a blob, and despite my efforts I was not able to get it back.

Anyone know what may have happened and what I should differently next time?

Edited by lordrasov on 04/30/2010 23:55:20 MDT.

Jeff Antig
(Antig)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Failed seam seal on 04/30/2010 23:59:20 MDT Print View

I got mineral spirits and silicone sealant--followed the info from tarptent.com

I think the trick is to work fast.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Failed seam seal on 05/01/2010 00:38:57 MDT Print View

Hi Dan

What happened was due to two things:
* the silnet uses water from the atmosphere to cure
* the paint thinner you bought had a significant amount of water in it - say a few percent.

So when you mixed the two slowly you simply caused the silicone to immediately start to cure - which it did quickly!

Solution #1: use a water-free solvent to dilute the silnet. However, finding this can be very difficult as many commercial solvents absorb water naturally, and come with water in them.

Solution #2: dispense with the solvent and smear the silnet on directly.

I have a tube of silicone sealant which I bought in Italy about 3 years ago. The tube is mostly used up, but what is left is still quite OK. Ah - but I keep the tube firmly capped all the time except for brief periods when I am using it.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Re: Failed seam seal on 05/01/2010 00:54:37 MDT Print View

Do the job early in the morning before the day warms up.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Failed seam seal" on 05/01/2010 00:56:16 MDT Print View

Just use a tube of auto window silicone sealer as posted elsewhere on BPL........no mixing required.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Failed seam seal on 05/01/2010 06:52:21 MDT Print View

Dan,

>>After applying about 2 feet on one seam, I noticed the solution had hardened and turned into a blob<<

I was able to seam seal my entire tarp using GE Silicone II and Klean-Strip odorless mineral spirits.

Odorless Mineral Spirits & GE Silicone II

Counting main seams, hemmed edges and reinforcements my tarp has @ 58 feet of seam.

I have some questions.

In Canada is >>odourless paint thinner<< the same as mineral spirits? Regular paint thinner is made with mineral spirits. I am not sure paint thinner and mineral spirits are "exactly" the same.

Was your >>odourless paint thinner<< by any chance the "New Green Safer Variety of paint thinner? If so, possibly the Silnet isn't compatible.

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Edited by Newton on 05/01/2010 06:56:06 MDT.

Say Raow
(lordrasov) - M
Re: Re: Failed seam seal on 05/01/2010 09:58:01 MDT Print View

“In Canada is >>odourless paint thinner<< the same as mineral spirits? Regular paint thinner is made with mineral spirits. I am not sure paint thinner and mineral spirits are "exactly" the same.”

There was a bottle of mineral spirits beside the bottle of low-odour paint thinner. The ingredient list on both said ‘mineral spirits’, so I assumed the paint thinner was just odourless mineral spirits. Not sure if I was right though.

“So when you mixed the two slowly you simply caused the silicone to immediately start to cure - which it did quickly!”

I’m wondering why this hasn’t happened to others. I’ve read about many people using silnet diluted with paint thinner with great results. This makes me think that maybe the paint thinner I chose was in fact the wrong kind, even though the bottle says it is mineral spirits.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Failed seam seal on 05/01/2010 10:18:20 MDT Print View

Edited by annapurna on 05/02/2010 08:41:36 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Failed seam seal on 05/01/2010 10:39:06 MDT Print View

+2 with David. Use this; ready out of the tube. I used maybe a third of a tube on my Duomid.

goop

Say Raow
(lordrasov) - M
Re:re: Failed seam seal on 05/01/2010 10:45:13 MDT Print View

Thanks.

I think I'll head to the store and pick up some of the windshield sealer.

Where would I find this product? All the hardware stores I've contacted don't sell window and glass sealant.

Edited by lordrasov on 05/01/2010 11:06:21 MDT.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

"Failed seam seal" on 05/01/2010 12:42:32 MDT Print View

I got it at the True Value hardware store up on the corner.....

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Failed seam seal on 05/01/2010 13:06:07 MDT Print View

I got mine at NAPA. 5 bucks for the tube.

Say Raow
(lordrasov) - M
Re: Failed seam seal on 05/01/2010 14:04:52 MDT Print View

Thanks guys. Just finished sealing with the flowable silicone. The stuff was a charm to work with, saved me a lot of frustration.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Failed seam seal on 05/01/2010 14:51:29 MDT Print View

Glad to hear it worked well for you. It's great stuff.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

"Failed seam seal" on 05/01/2010 15:39:10 MDT Print View

If, like me, you got too much silicone on there, leave the tent set up and pour baby powder over the seams, wait a bit and then brush off the extra baby powder.

Takes care of the sticky, tent smells good (unless you're Ken) and I swear it packs easier.

Another BPL tip I got here.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Failed seam seal on 05/01/2010 19:00:22 MDT Print View

> I’m wondering why this hasn’t happened to others.
Since 'paint thinners' is an extremely vague industry term, who knows what is in each different brand - or batch? It can vary wildly. But if there is water in there ... the silicone will cure fast.

Permatex Flowable Windscreen Sealant - very good stuff, undiluted. I have used it too.

cheers

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Failed seam seal on 05/20/2010 20:04:09 MDT Print View

Ken,

I really should cruise this site more often. I've been away for a while and have not been keeping up with BPL. I just happened to be wandering the site when I saw the Flowable Silicone is your photo.

I want you to know that you just saved a friend from probably ruining a brand new TT Sublite, as he tried to do the mix/daub mixture of mineral spirits and silicone. I caught him just as he was about begin opening the can. He'll now use the flowable silicone.

Thanks for that! And it's good to be back. I'm planning a Lost Coast hike: Mattole to Shelter Cove, May 30 thru June 9. You interested?