JOHN MUIR TRAIL VIDEO - 7 Day Trip
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Commons
(RyanCommons) - F

Locale: Bay Area, California
JOHN MUIR TRAIL VIDEO - 7 Day Trip on 04/30/2010 16:10:02 MDT Print View

Hey All, thought this might get some of the JMT crew fired up about taking pics and video of the trail this summer. A quick note to Kevin Sawchuk--you are the man!!! I'd like to someday attempt the JMT in the winter.

Here is the video: John Muir Trail Video

This is a summary of an October thru-hike on the John Muir Trail. I traveled seven days on foot from Whitney Portal to Yosemite and stuffed my camera with as much beauty as I could. Evening temperatures were below freezing each night and signs of winter were ever-present. I hope you enjoy the pictures and the story.

Edited by RyanCommons on 06/04/2011 08:22:07 MDT.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
John Muir Trail Video - Winter is Coming on 04/30/2010 16:19:43 MDT Print View

I got my Sept. 19 entry permit for Whitney Portal a few weeks ago and looked for some videos to inspire me and came across Mr. Ryan Commons' video. It is stupendous for two main reasons: 1. Awesome photographs 2. Incredibly dramatic emotional rollercoaster journey.
You really are pulling for this guy as you watch the video. He captures the spirit of John Muir and what we all hope to find out there.
Ryan is not only a skilled photographer, he showed a lot of intestinal fortitude on that hike!

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
I haven't even seen the movie yet... on 04/30/2010 18:04:28 MDT Print View

...and I impressed. The JMT in seven days! Wow, that's hustlin'.

Dirk

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Beautiful Video on 04/30/2010 19:11:49 MDT Print View

I watched the video off and on all afternoon. It's quite beautiful. It was in the reverse of my trip last year (I recently posted my trip report sans photos and video). 7 days and taking all of those photos is quite an incredible feat to go along with the sore feet.

Scott

Philip Delvoie
(PhilipD) - MLife

Locale: Ontario, Canada
JOHN MUIR TRAIL VIDEO - 7 Day Trip on 04/30/2010 19:25:25 MDT Print View

Great video Ryan. Loved it and the notes throughout the video.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
JMT Video on 04/30/2010 23:51:35 MDT Print View

This was one of the coolest trip reports and photo documentaries I have ever seen. Way to go! I am even more 'fired-up' for my JMT hike than ever. Other than Jared at T.M., did you run into anyone else? Once again, FANTASTIC photos. Robert.

Del Johnston
(deljohnston) - F

Locale: Heart of Dixie
Incredible! on 05/01/2010 01:06:08 MDT Print View

Easily the best 40 minutes I have ever spent on the internet. Thank you for the incredible journey! Photos are amazing, music is fitting and the story...wow. I was scared for you. If I encountered bears in the dark, there would be much more on the trail than bear crap. I cannot wait to see more "walk-umentaries" from you!

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: JOHN MUIR TRAIL VIDEO - 7 Day Trip on 05/01/2010 23:16:35 MDT Print View

Ryan,

Thank you for sharing your great photos and experience. That was a thoroughly entertaining slide show.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
JMT on 05/02/2010 07:59:10 MDT Print View

WOW! What a way to start my morning with a cup of coffee.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: JOHN MUIR TRAIL VIDEO - 7 Day Trip on 05/02/2010 09:10:05 MDT Print View

Inspiring video, thanks Ryan!

It makes me long or the chance to do a big long walk in the Rockies. Somehow, the 170 miles of the Pennine Way seems a bit tame by comparison. :-)

Carol Brown
(brownwetdog)

Locale: Idaho
JOHN MUIR TRAIL VIDEO - 7 Day Trip on 05/02/2010 13:31:34 MDT Print View

Ryan - - great video! You are a great photographer and I like your sense of humor. The two green dots (eyes) were brilliant.

I am now super-psyched for my JMT hike this August.

Ryan Tucker
(BeartoothTucker) - M
phenomenal on 05/03/2010 09:05:01 MDT Print View

as good as any TR I have ever seen.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
JMT Video-7 Day trip on 05/03/2010 09:17:36 MDT Print View

Very cool-amazing!! You were not alone you had 4 legged friends almost the entire way.

-Jay

Ryan Commons
(RyanCommons) - F

Thanks for the nice feedback on 05/03/2010 23:50:03 MDT Print View

Thank you all for the encouraging feedback. I hope to do more video of the Sierras and share it.

Robert, I bumped into a few other people on the trail. Most days I saw one or two people and I went 48 hours once without seeing a person. The only JMT hiker I encountered was finishing the trail on Whitney when I was starting.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Cool Video on 05/04/2010 00:44:18 MDT Print View

wondering if you're a GRRM fan.

Ryan Commons
(RyanCommons) - F

GRRM? on 05/04/2010 12:17:48 MDT Print View

GRRM? Curious...

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Cool Video on 05/04/2010 12:32:07 MDT Print View

Ha. So that is why the title sounded so familiar.

George R. R. Martin.

Great trip report. Watched the entire thing. By the end of the video I was pulling for you to make it!

Edited by mpl_35 on 05/04/2010 12:32:59 MDT.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
"Winter is Coming" on 05/04/2010 12:33:37 MDT Print View

It's the House of Stark's motto in "A Song of Ice and Fire" series...soon to be an HBO series.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Inspired on 05/04/2010 13:10:18 MDT Print View

Can't wait to get out there. Thanks Ryan. Great TR. Loved it.

Ryan Commons
(RyanCommons) - F

Thanks on 05/05/2010 22:56:15 MDT Print View

Thanks for letting me know Nate and Michael.

Anyone have general thoughts or actual experiences with black bears in the Sierras? I gather that they occasionally do false charges and almost never attack. The worst attacks I've read about involved some bad cuts and a lot of superficial trauma--no deaths.

I am generally one to not fear the bears and would love to hear about any other experiences. Thanks.