Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
ULA epic - posted
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Lutz
(mtntrailrunner) - F
Poor Man's Version on 05/01/2010 15:26:21 MDT Print View

http://www.kondosoutdoors.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KO&Product_Code=BH30&Category_Code=CPG

Ed Tyanich
(runsmtns) - F - M
Weight on 05/01/2010 16:09:15 MDT Print View

David,

I had an Arctic Ultra, actually two, but thats another story.
Anyway, it carried 50-60 lbs as well as anything I have used. My thoughts were the same as yours as far as packing elk & deer parts.

I ended up selling them because where I hunt elk there are enough griz & wolves that if you don't get it out the same day you might not have much meat left.

Last year I packed out three elk in four days along with a partner on each trip. We boned the elk and packed everything in one trip each. The heaviest was a bull I shot, where my pack weighed 125 and my buddies was 135. Not ultralight for sure. My Granite Gear Stratos Flatbed worked well but I liked my friends Kifaru Longhunter enough that I bought one for this next season.

I think the Epic would work fine for mule deer, sheep etc and even elk with reasonable loads. I might try one out myself.

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
ULA Epic video on 09/13/2010 04:51:27 MDT Print View

I did a ULA Epic Video last weekend, and this is the result after editing. I hope this helps to get a good understanding of how the pack can work and be used. It is a great pack!

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Locale: South
Re: ULA Epic video on 09/13/2010 14:25:26 MDT Print View

Hendrik, thanks for posting the video. It was helpful to see the pack in use instead of still photos. Thanks for sharing and great blog! I enjoy the week in review.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Nice Job! on 09/13/2010 14:37:26 MDT Print View

Nice Job on the video.

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Locale: UK
ULA epic on 09/13/2010 14:41:00 MDT Print View

Hendrik great vid and good review.

Joery Truyen
(Joery)

Locale: Europe
ULA epic drybag on 09/27/2010 09:13:29 MDT Print View

Great job Hendrik! Now I'm wondering what drybag you use. I noticed it's a Seal Line but I don't seem to find that specific model you are using on their website. It's dimensions look more ideal than the 70l Sea to Summit pack liner I'm using at the moment.

Love the backpack but mine shows already a lot of abrasion on the frame at the side of the drybag but this is probably resulting from the slippery fabric of the drybag I'm using. Now I put a piece of sleeping pad between the frame and the drybag and this seems to be better. Have you experienced the same issue with the drybags you are using?

The side release buckles are fragile by the way, the male parts bend easily. Had to replace several.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
ULA Epic on 09/27/2010 11:58:18 MDT Print View

Finally details of one in the flesh! Thanks.