MYO Quilt Questions???
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Philip
(mphilip) - F
MYO Quilt Questions??? on 04/30/2010 14:03:44 MDT Print View

Because of all you guys and your dam great ideas (insert evil laugh) I am getting into this MYOG thing...

I have a Golite Ultra 20 quilt right now but would like to make a comparible (temp wise) synthetic quilt.

What will i need for insulation and what would be a good shell???

Thanks,

Mike

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: MYO Quilt Questions??? on 04/30/2010 14:49:22 MDT Print View

is it the ultra 20 from old that is only good to 32* or the new true to rating one?

If it needs to get to 32* with no insulated clothing it has to be Climashield XP 5oz, 20* go with 7.5oz (5oz + 2.5oz).

As for materials owfinc.com and thru-hiker both have a good .9oz nylon. Thru-hiker calls theirs momentum 90. Both make a warmer bag than standard 1.1oz as they have better dwr and calandering (sp?). Those materials will be high quality like the shell of the unltra 20 vs some generic 1.1 that does work but wont be as warm in the long run.

-Tim

Mike Philip
(mphilip) - F
age of quilt on 04/30/2010 15:03:11 MDT Print View

Tim,

Mine is the older model Golite...used it last year on a trip in Northern BC and we got pounded with rain and it was close to freezing each night. Got a bit chilled in the Golite even with cloths on and I am a warm sleeper. I was in a MSR Hubba tent and the fog and misty rain was so thick that it blew through the tent (under the back where it does not quite reach the ground) with the high winds. Ended up getting my quilt wet and it lost a lot of R-Value. I am working on fixing both the shelter and bag issues for this years trip!!!

What i want to end up with is something that will work down to freezing and still be somewhat light and I would prefer synthetic but am not sure if it will still be light and packable???

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: age of quilt on 04/30/2010 20:16:00 MDT Print View

5oz XP quilts end up 24-30oz depending on size, shell fabric and features.

-Tim

Mike Philip
(mphilip) - F
size on 04/30/2010 21:38:12 MDT Print View

How small/big would a quilt like that be rolled up or in a stuff sack?