Forum Index » Chaff » She's on to me

Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Locale: Midwest
She's on to me on 04/30/2010 11:26:04 MDT Print View

My wife and I were running errands last night. She needed to make a return at Hobby Lobby.

I'll sit in the car.

No, come on in. We'll look around.

Oh good.

So low and behold, I find these small Nalgene-like bottles, very short, maybe 4 to 5 inches. I'd guess they hold 12 oz. Sippy top - check. Plastic sippy top guard easily removable for weight savings - check. Wide - mouth for Steripen - check. .99 cents - check. Pay dirt!

Then my wife's voice breaks into my altered state. She's seen this behavior before and used to say something like "more junk?". This time she says "you'll get home and weigh it. It'll be too heavy". The spell broke; I put them back.

Nuts! She's on to me.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"She's on to me" on 04/30/2010 11:34:46 MDT Print View

Nice story!

My family, especially the kids, love to goof on what has become my obsession with ounce-counting.

I made a Tyvek sheath for my steri-pen the other day that Alex just couldn't get his head around....

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: She's on to me on 04/30/2010 11:44:42 MDT Print View

Worse yet, when I go into a hobby store, I spend all of my time looking at the product packaging. I wonder what those containers would look like empty. The stores never seem to have a digital scale so that I can weigh the package.

--B.G.--

Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Locale: Midwest
She's on to me on 04/30/2010 12:05:59 MDT Print View

Yup, pretty much don't go anywhere without analyzing the possibilities. It's messed up :)

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
She's on to me on 04/30/2010 12:27:04 MDT Print View

Yup. My lady laughs when I tell her we should have these tinned peas rather than the ones she just chose.

"Seamless tin is it?"

I always carry my 1m retracting tape into the supermarket too....

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: She's on to me on 04/30/2010 12:31:47 MDT Print View

"I always carry my 1m retracting tape into the supermarket too...."

I cut down to a 1-foot retracting tape to save weight.

By next year, it will be simply a piece of string with markings on it.

--B.G.--

James Patsalides
(james@patsalides.com) - MLife

Locale: New England
re: She's on to me on 04/30/2010 12:35:48 MDT Print View

Erm, well, I ordered a new pair of SUL gaiters to replace my heavy weight ones and paid with my credit card. Imagine my dismay when the missus circled the "Dirty Girl Productions / $14" line item on the amex bill with my red sharpie and left it on my cereal bowl. Zoiks! I had to rapidly produce the aforementioned dirty girls in order to protect my marriage...

http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/

Philip Delvoie
(PhilipD) - MLife

Locale: Ontario, Canada
She's on to me on 04/30/2010 13:09:56 MDT Print View

James,

"Imagine my dismay when the missus circled the "Dirty Girl Productions / $14" line item on the amex bill with my red sharpie and left it on my cereal bowl."

I can imagine she wanted to see proof of purchase for that line item. Very funny...

James Landro
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: re: She's on to me on 04/30/2010 14:05:16 MDT Print View

"Erm, well, I ordered a new pair of SUL gaiters to replace my heavy weight ones and paid with my credit card. Imagine my dismay when the missus circled the "Dirty Girl Productions / $14" line item on the amex bill with my red sharpie and left it on my cereal bowl. Zoiks! I had to rapidly produce the aforementioned dirty girls in order to protect my marriage...

http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/"

CLASSIQUE!

Jeff Antig
(Antig)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: She's on to me on 04/30/2010 14:13:23 MDT Print View

Bring a pocket scale with you everywhere you go

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: She's on to me on 04/30/2010 14:35:49 MDT Print View

I kept bugging my girlfriend to hurry up and eat her peanut butter because the lid made a very nice lid for my Snow Peak 450. I had to put a note on the peanut butter jar reminding her not to throw it away!

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Re: Re: She's on to me on 05/01/2010 02:42:14 MDT Print View

Travis, you gave yourself away too easily. You should have bought her *another jar* and then you could have made the part used one *disappear*. ;-)

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: She's on to me on 05/01/2010 06:10:49 MDT Print View

By next year, it will be simply a piece of string with markings on it.

dental floss would be lighter than string

JJ Mathes
(JMathes) - F

Locale: Southeast US
lighter than floss on 05/01/2010 06:27:04 MDT Print View

"dental floss would be lighter than string"

and a tattoo across the palm of the hand in 1/2" increments would be even lighter and you won't loose or forget it

Frank Steele
(knarfster) - F

Locale: Arizona
LOL on 05/19/2010 23:54:57 MDT Print View

"Then my wife's voice breaks into my altered state. She's seen this behavior before and used to say something like "more junk?". This time she says "you'll get home and weigh it. It'll be too heavy". The spell broke; I put them back.

Nuts! She's on to me."

My son is on to me. we have a running joke where he yells TWO OUNCES!

I had one of those orange "potty" trowels, and it weighed 2 ounces, I gave it up for a large MSR stake that serves multiple purposes and works just as the trowel but weighs .85 ounces. He wondered why I gave a Scout my orange trowel, after my explanation, well.......hence his yell TWO OUNCES!

tim hower
(jeepcachr) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
Tarp stuff sack on 05/20/2010 08:39:11 MDT Print View

I finished a tarp the other night for my hammock and last night I made a stuff sack for it. I was quite proud of my workmanship. I made my first buttonholes ever for the cord to come out. I even used the serger for the seams. I was pretty impressed with how well it turned out.

I showed it to my wife with the new tarp in it and she said- "You want it in a stuff sack? Isn't that more weight?"