Forum Index » GEAR » Shoes/Boots for 2mo Summer Hiking in Iceland

Display Avatars Sort By:
Geoff Kembel
(jiffybank) - F
Shoes/Boots for 2mo Summer Hiking in Iceland on 04/25/2010 11:44:16 MDT Print View

I'm heading to Iceland this summer (Jul/Aug) for a 2 month hiking trip and am looking for the right hiking shoes/boots.

I just picked up a pair of Salomon Explorer GTX
boots at the REI garage sale but am now having second thoughts about bringing boots at all.

Ideally, I'd like to use trail runners. My concerns are:

1) lack of support on the rocky terrain
2) lack of waterproofness for the crazy weather
3) durability for 2 months of solid hiking

What trail runners (if any) you would consider up to the task?

Can anyone with Iceland hiking experience weigh in?

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
a compromise on 04/25/2010 12:09:47 MDT Print View

I just bought a pair of Merrill Moab GTX boots from REI. I had to have REI special order them from Merrill because I wanted a wide size. My feet tend to spread after two days on the trail. even with a 25 lb. pack.

The Merrill Moabs are barely boots B/C they just cover your ankle bones and not much else. But they are the lightest DURABLE boots I've ever seen.
No, not as light as the thin British Rocklites but far more durable and with much more protective soles.

I got the Moabs because trail runners don't keep out the debris and I'mn always stopping to take 'em off and empty them of trail crud.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Shoes/Boots for 2mo Summer Hiking in Iceland on 04/25/2010 13:25:45 MDT Print View

Edited by annapurna on 05/01/2010 22:02:10 MDT.

Geoff Kembel
(jiffybank) - F
Rock Savvy, Durable Trail Runners on 04/27/2010 19:27:39 MDT Print View

@Eric
I'll definitely check out the Merrell Moabs. Just the kind of shoe I'm looking for.

@Anna
Thanks for the link. Looks like Andrew used GoLite Sun Dragon IIs, which appear to be discontinued. Still, from pictures, it's certainly not a boot. If that shoe lasted ~500 miles in Iceland, sounds like a trail runner stands a chance.

A guy at REI also recommended the Merrell Chameleon 3 Ventilator (b/c of the good rubber rand), but the fit wasn't right for me.

Any other votes for rock savvy, durable trail runners?

Mike McHenry
(mtmche2) - F
Montrail on 04/28/2010 03:43:35 MDT Print View

I can stand behind the Montrail Hardrocks from a couple of years ago. I have a pair now that have worn really well and a brand new pair in a box waiting for when these wear out.

I have found Merrells to run really wide. If you have narrower feet and prefer a larger toe box, I would recommend the Montrails.

mega name
(meganame) - F
Re: a compromise on 05/01/2010 22:02:44 MDT Print View

I'm looking at the different moabs. I'm interested in the ventilator because my feet tend to stay quite toasty! I have to slip my shoes off when I'm at my desk at work. Anyway, I do have to worry a little about rain, so I'm also looking at the gor-tex XCR. What I don't understand, is how they can be "waterproof", "ventilated", and "mesh" all at the same time.

EDIT: Scratch that...I've been reading about how hot the gor-tex is, and that will not fit my need. I'm starting to like the Inov-8 Roclite 320 as well as the Merrill Moab Ventilator. It sounds like the OP and I have about the same needs. I just may be a little more concerned with keeping my feet cool than he is.

Edited by meganame on 05/02/2010 00:25:19 MDT.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F - M

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Patagonia? on 05/02/2010 00:38:23 MDT Print View

Something not mentioned here. Patagonia makes their release trail runner in a Mid in GTX and unlined. And they're made by merrell as well. And the Tasali/Nine Trails shoes are a pretty stable trail runners. Also Salomon has a bunch of running platform Mid shoes like fastpacker and the elios and XA pro is now a boot 2. (I believe GTX only Tho)

Andrew Skurka uses La sportiva Fireblade and they are one durable looking trail runner. he's used them in alaska and GC in Winter.

Edited by rcowman on 05/02/2010 00:39:48 MDT.

Geoff Kembel
(jiffybank) - F
Merrel Moab Ventilators on 05/26/2010 22:33:36 MDT Print View

I finally settled on the low top, non-GTX Merrell Moab Ventilators.

They've got a lot of mesh on top (i.e. quick drying after stream crossings) and the soles seem pretty solid. And most importantly, they were BY FAR the most comfortable shoe I tried on at REI. I found the Merrell Chameleons too stiff and the mid top Moabs annoying around my ankles.

Here's to hoping they'll survive two months on the crazy Icelandic terrain. Thanks everyone for the tips.

mega name
(meganame) - F
Merrel Moab Ventilator on 06/04/2010 04:00:58 MDT Print View

I settled on the same non-GTX MOAB Ventilators last week. Took them camping over the weekend. They are, honestly, the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. The river ran over them a couple times & the moisture never made it to my feet. I try to wear shoes as little as possible...but these are quite tolerable. I like the low and squared heel. It seems to be difficult to twist an ankle in these. If they're still making them when I wear these out, I'll just buy exactly the same ones again.