Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Nylon Tulle or Organza baffles in MYOG quilts?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Nylon Tulle or Organza baffles in MYOG quilts? on 04/23/2010 23:01:48 MDT Print View

Anybody use this? Any reason not to?

I know alot of the nylon tulle is lighter than no-see-um or even nano-see-um.. Some of the organza is also I believe..

I've heard comments that the tulle isn't that strong, but I was trying to rip it by hand in jo-ann's today and without exerting serious force, didn't have much luck.

Any reason I shouldn't just use this stuff for around ~$1 a yard and some potential wt savings?...

Edited by jdempsey on 04/23/2010 23:02:24 MDT.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Nylon Tulle or Organza baffles in MYOG quilts? on 04/23/2010 23:21:11 MDT Print View

Would it be possible for the down to migrate through the Tulle or Organza? Haven't looked at that material in a while but it seems that the openings would be too large?

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Nylon Tulle or Organza baffles in MYOG quilts? on 04/23/2010 23:29:59 MDT Print View

I'd think it would be very negligible on the tulle.. The organza I saw was even tighter weave, some tighter than nanoseeum.

Seems to me that if migration did occur, it'd be a) minimal, and b) bi-directional.

Those holes are small, maybe 1/8th inch.. Some quills might move around, but the actual quill free down clusters? Maybe, would it be at a volume to matter?

Just can see it being an issue, although I definitely concede that I'm just speculating.

I'd love to hear if anybody has actually tried it, and noticed any loft change.