Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Swiss Military Stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Swiss Military Stove on 05/29/2006 19:09:59 MDT Print View

Or should I have said Swiss Army Stove?

Anyway, I found this thing on EBay and bought one. It was cheap and looked like an interesting design to work with for an Esbit or alcohol stove.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Swiss Military Stove on 05/29/2006 19:50:57 MDT Print View

Yeah, Dale, the Swiss Army bivouac stove will heat water in a blizzard. Wind has little effect on it. Sortof heavy and heavy-duty, though. It would be nice if someone would make something similar with attention to weight.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: Swiss Military Stove on 05/30/2006 07:35:19 MDT Print View

I bought it to study. It seems the same could be done with some sheet metal and a couple rivets. One tent stake could go through the middle to support a non-tapered pot/cup.

It appears that it is multi-fuel capable-- small bits of wood, fuel tabs or a small alcohol stove (tested outdoors).

I found it for sale at this site too:
http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/12644.html

On a tangent, Snow Peak makes a small tapered Ti cup:

Edited by dwambaugh on 05/30/2006 07:41:09 MDT.

(Plutarch)
Re: Re: Swiss Military Stove on 06/15/2006 23:00:54 MDT Print View

I got one to experiment with. Don't leave the cork in while boiling, as it creates a missile followed by molten water.

The concept is sound, but the equipment is too heavy for backpacking use.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Swiss Military Stove on 06/20/2006 07:37:19 MDT Print View

Agreed on the weight. Some thin wall aluminum or titanium tubing would be something to try. Something 1 liter Nalgene size would be great. A vertical slot in the top for the handles on a pot or cup to slide into with a tent stake stop to hold the cup. the thing I like is that stove and windscreen are combined and you could use wood, Esbit, or even a small pop can alcohol stove.

If you go much lighter it vectors off to the windscreen-and-tent-stake designs.