a longshot, but I appeal to you guys
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

Locale: bay area
a longshot, but I appeal to you guys on 04/23/2010 02:28:07 MDT Print View

I am looking for a backpacking trip in norcal that ends in, or includes along the way, hotsprings. I did sykes last month and wasn't too stoked on the springs and tubs themselves. I would love to find somewhere out of the way, hike in only that doesn't see a lot of traffic but has some nice hot water. I know its a longshot and have tried looking around but haven't had too much luck. I implore you to share with me a trip like this if you know it. I would be very appreciative.
Thank you
love and blessings,
Sean

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Hot Springs on 04/23/2010 11:47:54 MDT Print View

High Sierra Trail over Kahweah Gap to Kern Hot Springs. Sometimes you can have it all to yourself.

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
Sykes on 04/23/2010 15:57:09 MDT Print View

That brings back some memories

I went to Sykes in 1974. First place I back-packed in Cal. It was beautiful but I understand things have gone downhill. Still good memories! First time I ever saw or camped in redwoods. And the river was so clear ( and sooooo cold)

joseph peterson
(sparky) - F

Locale: Southern California
a longshot, but I appeal to you guys on 04/23/2010 16:08:29 MDT Print View

The one and only time I went to Jordan Hot Springs from forks of the kern trailhead we had it to ourselves, but it isn't that far in and I imagine alot of people go there, although I don't know for sure.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: a longshot, but I appeal to you guys on 04/23/2010 16:49:12 MDT Print View

It is not exactly Northern California, but there is Blaney Hot Spring.

Muir Trail Ranch has its own private hot spring. Then if you wade across the cold San Joaquin River and fight through the weeds, you will find a large pond or small lake. That's Blaney. Last time I was there, we had to ski in. The outside of the lake is cool, but the hot water bubbles in the center.

--B.G.--

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
not in NorCal but... maybe northern SoCal on 04/23/2010 21:07:26 MDT Print View

In the Sespe wilderness, behind Ventura, CA you can hike to the Sespe Hot Springs. I understand they are among the hottest in SoCal. There's several trails that can take you there. Most probably are in the 10-15 miles range.

You might find other folks there on weekends during the Spring, but weekdays or during the winter, you can easily have it to yourself.