Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Trekking Pole Handle Connection to Grommet
Display Avatars Sort By:
Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Trekking Pole Handle Connection to Grommet on 04/22/2010 16:36:15 MDT Print View

I have never liked placing my trekking pole handles in the dirt or mud to get the pointy end of the pole into a grommet on a tarp or a tent. I prefer to have them up to keep them clean and safe from critters.

I found an "expansion bolt" at my local hardware store in the "National" small parts section - all those drawers of stuff. It's called out as a 1/4 x 5/8 Expansion Bolt, and is a rubber-like material with a nut embedded opposite the flange. It's similar to the locking device in adjustable poles, but has a top flange to keep it from falling in.

Pole Connection
Since I installed EVA grips on my Gossamer Gear LightTrek™ 4s, I already have access to the top of the pole, and that made this solution easy. This part is a near perfect fit to the ID of the pole, and the flange evens out the pressure on the top edge.

To the left is the piece that normally caps the pole's hole. The hard part here will be not loosing the caps.

I'll leave the expansion bolts attached to the grommets, so at least I'll know where They are.

Edited by greg23 on 04/25/2010 12:11:45 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Trekking Pole Handle Connection to Grommet on 04/22/2010 16:46:47 MDT Print View

Isn't that more weight to carry?

--B.G.--

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Trekking Pole Handle Connection to Grommet on 04/22/2010 18:46:16 MDT Print View

> Isn't that more weight to carry?
Yes, but you could make aluminium bolts, or buy nylon ones.

Cheers

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Trekking Pole Handle Connection to Grommet on 04/22/2010 20:08:24 MDT Print View

Fiber reinforced nylon bolts are on the way. The expanders and steel 1/4-20s add 0.84 ounces. I expect the weight, with the nylon bolts, to be well under a half an ounce.

Edit: I'm getting 100 of these FR Nylon bolts from McMaster-Carr for $6.67 + S&H.
Expander Bolts Nylon

Edit: Look Here to see the new and improved, and 0.334 ounce solution.

If anyone gets a wild hair and needs a few, drop me a note. :-0

Edited by greg23 on 04/29/2010 09:50:23 MDT.

Jared Dilg
(Village) - MLife

Locale: Texas
Re: Re: Trekking Pole Handle Connection to Grommet on 04/22/2010 23:42:59 MDT Print View

Thanks, very timely! I was just considering how to attach wrist straps for the MYOG trekking poles article. That expander is excellent.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
pole handle to grommet on 04/24/2010 22:42:17 MDT Print View

Ouch. I often like to rest my palm on the top of the trekking pole when going downhill.
But I can still use the pole to support an awning by running a cord from the grommet or tie-out loop around the pole then angled to the ground.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: pole handle to grommet on 04/25/2010 07:56:54 MDT Print View

Samuel,
If you are referring to the photo, the expander and the bolt stay in the grommet, and the small flush cap covers the end of the pole.

I too use the end of my poles a lot, and it is not an issue.

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Trekking Pole Handle Connection to Grommet on 04/25/2010 12:06:49 MDT Print View

Clever. I'm going to give combining this and a mono-pod connection a shot. My original concept was to make this out of some sort of nylon with a 1/4-20 female thread in the top. I'd have a short 1/4-20 set screw in the bottom of my camera with a few threads exposed so I can easily fasten it to the top of my pole when I want to take a timed shot. I was concerned about it filling with dirt when I used it as a support but flipping the pole and having a light nylon tip is perfect. Thanks for the idea! I'll post photos when I get around to crafting this up.

Don Meredith

lightpack.blogspot.com

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
pole to grommet on 04/25/2010 22:21:28 MDT Print View

Thanks, Greg. Think I get it now.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Trekking Pole Handle to Grommet - Nylon Bolt on 04/29/2010 09:46:51 MDT Print View

Here's a Nylon ¼-20 in the expander.

Nylon Bolt
The total weight penalty, for both sides, 0.33 ounces.

I can live with that.

Edited by greg23 on 04/29/2010 10:41:54 MDT.

Pete Acker
(pka45) - F
Revisited on 02/02/2012 16:01:24 MST Print View

Hi All,

Just did this little project tonight. Found out that if you boil the original handles for about 20 minutes, the grips slide right off; no cutting necessary.

Thanks for the idea Greg! BTW, any more of those nylon bolts left? I couldn't find any...

Pete